Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

Engine cooling fan

Can anyone tell me where on the later model 320i are the sensors and wiring for the engine cooling fan located? My fan has ceased working at least on idle. Also if anyone has had this problem what was the solution?

Thanks. ;)

where on the later model 320i

Do you mean facelift E30 or E36?

Electric fan usually only installed on E30 if you have aircon and will only switch on if the aircon is activated. Temp switches located on the radiator.

Its a facelift E30, its the fan attatched to the camshaft What I have found is that it is not clearing the plastic cover / shroud that is situated arounf the fan, so the fan gets stuck and the spindle/bolt its mounted on turns with the engine runnining but the fan stays still.. Maybe the 32mm nut is loose? I am hoping that I wont have to remove the radiator.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the motor is sitting a fraction lower on its mounts, that and the fan shroud sitting a fraction high. So I pushed the shroud down a fraction tilted the radiator about 3-5 degree and thats fixed the problem, I am glad it did not involve anything more complex or parts.

Man I did not realize that removing the oil sump was gonna be such a pain.

Its a facelift E30, its the fan attatched to the camshaft

The fan is actually attached to the water pump, camshaft is right at the top of the motor.

Check that your engine mounts are not broken or disintergrated.... can only be a problem with them that causes the engine to drop.

Alternatively, check that the fan shroud is properly located in the two slot points at the bottom of the radiator.

If you do need to remove the fan, remember that the 32mm nut is a left hand thread and shock it off.

The engine mounts are in good nick,Maybe the motor is sitting the same as ever, I had to jack up the engine the other day to replace the oil sump, its likely that things got pulled around a bit. I checked the bottom of the shroud and its sitting well in the slots. The shroud has a bit of a warp in it, and this combination of things had created the problem. She s runnen sweet as now.

So thanks, glad I did not have to buy a new fan clutch theyre expensive!

I have exactly the same problem on my E36

although it is the waterpump bearing getting a bit loose causing fan to wobble

I have left the fan hung up at the moment until I can get the bloody thing off.

but no probs cooling wise so far.

might have to do the fan delete mod