Sign in to follow this  
slybma

WTB Gearbox to suit E30 M50 conversion

as per title, im after a gearbox to complete my E30 M50 conversion. Aslo looking for a driveshaft, crossmember and selectors to suit.

Getrag 220, fits with e30 g240 linkage and driveshaft.

Getrag 240 from a 318i fits with 320i linkage and driveshaft.

*edited in m40 gearbox will need to use 320i linkage and driveshaft

Edited by e30ftw

Getrag 220, fits with e30 g240 linkage and driveshaft.

Getrag 240 from a 318i fits with no mods required.

the e30 240 gearbox fits right up?

Only if it comes from the 318i , the m20 one will sit on the wrong angle like the g260.

m40 motor sits on the same angle as the m50 (and same bellhousing between m50, m40 , m20 etc), so the getrag 240 from a m40 e30 will bolt right in place using e30 linkage, sit on the right angle so no need to modify gearbox mount.. But then you will probably get some one crying about it not being strong enough.

Only if it comes from the 318i , the m20 one will sit on the wrong angle like the g260.

m40 motor sits on the same angle as the m50 (and same bellhousing between m50, m40 , m20 etc), so the getrag 240 from a m40 e30 will bolt right in place using e30 linkage, sit on the right angle so no need to modify gearbox mount.. But then you will probably get some one crying about it not being strong enough.

Awesome thanks for the info, in that case i dont need to buy anything i just assumed that the m40 bellhousing was different to the m50. Its going into a 1989 f/l 318i factory manual.

Sweet sorted then, will pretty much be a bolt in swap for you then once you sort the m50 and mounts.

Jon is wrong on the G240 as far as i know, in my conversion, i used an M40G240 and needed to run the M20G240 linkgae and driveshaft to make it all work.

good luck!

Jon is wrong on the G240 as far as i know, in my conversion, i used an M40G240 and needed to run the M20G240 linkgae and driveshaft to make it all work.

good luck!

the main thing im worried about is the gearbox if that fits im happy to alter the rest

Ah well, not like I've done this swap before :ph34r:

Will fix for misinformation sake aha

Ah well, not like I've done this swap before :ph34r:

Will fix for misinformation sake aha

I appreciate the help, I suppose ill find out when I put the engine in

I appreciate the help, I suppose ill find out when I put the engine in

haha yup. I read a lot on all sorts of forums, what worked for different people, some swearing it would or wouldnt work. Its easier to just figure it out yourself at the time given your knowledge of parts avaialable to you. can definately be done using 100% factory parts with gearbox on the right angle etc. more than one way to skin this cat ha!

M20B25 G260 works with a modified gearbox cross member and modified selector shaft...

that's the way I'm doing it.

One day aye?

like.

I'm currently messing with the loom.

However I'm shifting in two weeks as I'm f**king homeless.