Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

E39 A/C heater issue.

Hey guys,

Well the heater fan which was blowing very softly when i bought it at the weekend (and assumed cabin filters) stopped yesterday so after a bit of reading found it could be the fuse, FSU or blower motor. Today i removed and checked the fuses before i went down the FSU path, i found that the fuses were fine so replaced them, when i went to start the car i noticed that the fan console was not working at all (no power etc)

The car was off when i checked but did i do something wrong when checking the fuses? any ideas?

Cheers heaps

When my FSU failed, this has happened twice, it caused all kinds of weird fan speed problems. Some days it would work, other days it wouldn't. I have heard of fans continuing to run when the ignition was switched off too, though this didn't happen to me.

Didn't lose power to the HVAC console though.

Edited by tmase

Cheers, i thought it was most likely the FSU after checking the fuses. I must have bumped something while checking so will have a check over the weekend, does anyone know if a scan would show the FSU playing up or anything else with the console?

Could I ask which fuses you checked because their are two I believe hidden above the main fuse box which have something to do with it also.

75, 76 and 28 off the top of my head, from in the glove box. I did read about the two 'hidden' ones but i could not locate them.

Yes I believe you are correct it's been a while but they are behind the glove box with some other relays. Aren't e39's charming with fuse boxes placed every haha.

had a look on WDS diagrams

F76 connector x10017

Starts with Fuse 113 80a

Goes to Fuse 76 40a

then onto out put stage, Final Stage Unit in the heater matrix

F75 connector x10017

Starts at F113 80a

runs to F75p 50a Fuse box 2 window defogger, A455, p is given as protection

then runs to window heating control unit A411

not sure what F28 has to do with the heater as on the diagram it goes to the AGS trans control unit

You are dealing with large current draws with those fuses and if one has blown something major would be wrong. Best bet is the fsu or hedge hog has failed the resistors in then give out over time with all the heating and cooling they do hope you get it sorted

Awesome mate. Thanks for your help i'll get under there and have a hunt when i get a chance. Cheers