Sign in to follow this  
Ultrarandom

Powder Coating in Hamilton

Just wondering where people would recommend I go to get the inlet manifold and valve cover for the E30 powder coated? Preferably in or around Hamilton

Or even opinions on painting vs powder coating for both of these items.

EDIT: Would be preferring if they could do something like crinkle black too.

Edited by Ultrarandom

i have had good experience with VHT wrinkle finish black and red, goes very hard and wears well.

only downside is you need a little heat to help it wrinkle properly and it takes a while to dry, i used a heat bulb over mine for 24 hours last time, i did it in winter so took a while, then you just put it back on the engine carefully and use engine heat to finish the cure.

doesnt need primer, can buy it from supercheapauto, they have to order it in (they may not be aware but ask them to search "wrinkle" in their parts ordering system and they will find it. from memory its somewhere around $18 to $20 a can, one can did both my rocker covers on a 740i v8.

so cliff notes, powder coating is faster but wrinkle paint is much cheaper.

i have had good experience with VHT wrinkle finish black and red, goes very hard and wears well.

only downside is you need a little heat to help it wrinkle properly and it takes a while to dry, i used a heat bulb over mine for 24 hours last time, i did it in winter so took a while, then you just put it back on the engine carefully and use engine heat to finish the cure.

doesnt need primer, can buy it from supercheapauto, they have to order it in (they may not be aware but ask them to search "wrinkle" in their parts ordering system and they will find it. from memory its somewhere around $18 to $20 a can, one can did both my rocker covers on a 740i v8.

so cliff notes, powder coating is faster but wrinkle paint is much cheaper.

I've since posting this ordered myself in the wrinkle black (working at supercheap made it easier), ordered 2 cans but don't mind having spare as I know of plenty of people who would be keen on using some too. Will hopefully be painting them this coming week, sort of want to get my engine back together first but am waiting on the ehad gasket to get here from Germany.

Cheers for the response though and good to hear it works well.

mint, if you have time then let them sit and cure as much as possible, scrape off any areas that need to be smooth within 24 hours or it will get very very hard to move, i left mine on over the oil cap area and the oring didnt seal, made a mess and was very hard to get paint off once its been hot.

on the upside i can say it isnt affected by oil.

i work at SCA taupo, good to see more bmws in the business.

I've since posting this ordered myself in the wrinkle black (working at supercheap made it easier), ordered 2 cans but don't mind having spare as I know of plenty of people who would be keen on using some too. Will hopefully be painting them this coming week, sort of want to get my engine back together first but am waiting on the ehad gasket to get here from Germany.

Cheers for the response though and good to hear it works well.

Off Topic but...

Click! Just realised who you are. My GF worked there for a while, and I did in 08 (With Jason), and currently working at FCO Hamilton.