Sign in to follow this  
Docile

red oil light

a week ago i had the red oil light come up. i checked oil and it was at the right level.

once i restarted the engine it was gone. a few days later it comes on but a bit dimmer and came off again.

then i noticed this morning that on ignition 2 only the battery was lighting up.

have opened up the cluster. the bulbs at the back are all good but the thing is, i opened up the whole thing and the lights for the battery, abs, oil level etc are all little tiny leds?

could it be a faulty oil level sensor? what do you guys think?

could be a faulty sensor, though if you have been driving hard or for a long time it could be the oil thinning out to much and losing pressure.

better to stay safe than assume its faulty and keep driving

older m60 have a fault where the oil pump bolts come loose .

oil pressure light will come on when at idle etc

pay to drop the oil , remove the lower sump pan and check/replace/lock tight the bolts etc

swapped my friend's e38 cluster (to eliminate possible cluster bulb problem) to my one and the oil light still does not come up on my car at ignition 2. isn't it suppose to light up red along with the alternator battery light at ignition 2?

A quick simple test would be to pull the plug off the oil pressure sensor and bridge the terminals with ignition on, if the oil light comes on you know its a faulty pressure sensor. If not then start checking power supplies and wiring.

have seen it where people , remove the bulb or disconect the sensor wire to hide the light etc

bulbs for the warning lights are LEDs IIRC on these clusters. and the test cluster works fine on my friend's e38 oil light lights up.

2 -3 weeks ago the oil light was lighting up but after that it just didnt light up at all.

possible problem would be the sensor itself or a short circuited wire. gahh now have to trace the bastard down the fender :'(

so to test wire just bridge 2 points on the harness connector while engine is on ignition 2?

will hunt it down and let you guys know..

No need to panic just do that simple test. Remove the plug from the pressure sensor and bridge the plug terminals with ignition on, if the light comes on the cluster then its a pressure sensor fault. If no light then test your cluster our wiring, step by step process and nothing to freak out over. Also something to think about is oil pressure sensors fail after getting wet, has the engine been washed recently?