Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

E32 735i.....E34 535i

I have been thinking about the viability of either an E32 735i or E34 535i as a second

car, not as a daily driver but as a comfortable cruiser for the weekend and longer journeys . 10,000 Km per year or so.

But the way petrol prices are going I am beguining to have second thoughts, I am curious to hear what peoples experiences are with these cars are, running costs and maintenence. If doing a lot of general maintenance oneself is the E32 much more expensive to keep in order than a E34 535i?

i am finding the 3.5l very economical to run, providing im not poking it with a stick all the time. even arond town i run on cruze control when ever i can. bearing in mind its in my e30.

if it was looks, i would go for the 34 but if you want to pack 4 adults across the back seat then the 32

Mechanically they are virtually identical so maintenance should be the same, the same things will go wrong and be the same to fix.

IMHO the E34 is the better looking of the two, and maybe the better car all round.

Edited by E34-535ti

I have heard a lot about the reliability of the M30 motor, I have seen a lot of 535i s and 735i s with close to 200 K on the clock that look to be well looked after, would it still be worth paying up to 8- 10k for a tidy one with that kind of mileage?

A mate of mine, has owned both, from new/nearly new. E34 535/E32 735 automatics

The 7 series was the cheaper to run on a daily basis.

I find that our 535 (manual), is thirsty to run daily....typically 14-17 MPG around town, 18-20 MPG on a trip. The fuel economy has been checked and is regarded as normal. (its about the same as my 4 speed E3 3.0Si)

My dirty old XF Falcon Ute will do 20MPG around town and 25-28 MPG on a trip

not as a daily driver but as a comfortable cruiser for the weekend and longer journeys . 10,000 Km per year or so.

Then it has to be the E32.

They were made for eating up big distances and will cruise till your hearts content.

if you are going to be carrying more than three the seven will be way nicer for the rear seat passengers......Maybe i am a bit more restrained than darryl but i can easily get 25 mpg on a trip....for some reason the e34 535 is pretty thirsty...dont know how they compare to the e32 gering wise.My 535 turns 2300 at 60 mph most other m 30 rev a bit lower i think....

You will find e 34 and e 32 wy cheaper than 8 to 10,the e 32 will prolly be chepar than the e 34

Edited by kiwi535

This is all pretty interesting, according to an index I photo copied out of an 89 wheels mag, the 535i produced 136 kW and the 735i 155 KW, is that right?

no , both have 155kw 211hp 9:1 cr.

the usa version of the e28 535i and e23 735i had only 186hp 8:1 cr .

but nz version had 160kw 218hp 10:1 cr . older is faster .

i have a couple of 735i for sale 87 and 88 both needing engine repairs (have the parts).

and will have a e34 535i soon .

Haven't driven an E32 but the E34 makes a bloody good cruising car. My only complaint is that it needs dropping down into 4th for some hills, but you shouldn't have to worry about that in a 535 B)

And I can't get comfortable in the E34, driving long distances my back got cramp after 3 hours, which isn't a good feeling when driving. Hopefully E32s have better seats?

A 535 manual is supposedly as quick as the hottest HSV V8 back in the day too :mosh:

Just look on trademe, there seems to be some real mint 735iLs going for around $5k, which is a f**king bargain really.

535 = what hill,unless you get caught behind slow vehicles and my sports seats are the most comfortable i have had.....they feel hard when you first sit in em tho

Yeah I like your seats. Mine are just the standard factory ones from 1988, dunno if they changed thru the E34 life. They have alright support, but thats it.

And hills are the reason you shouldn't put a 2.5 in a 1.6 tonne barge :ph34r:

Ohh well, my mums old E28 520 was far, far worse.

Yeah climbing hills is one of my main considerations, I live high up in the mountains. The 320i you can fang it up hill and its pretty good,

but you see the fuel gauge drop, if you approach a hill at 60kmh or less you are stuffed. I think cars must be cheaper in NZ, but I could still import an 88 model from Japan with

less than 120k, maybe M-tech.

bimmers are all for looks anyways arnt they? none of you like performance..

go the E34 :D it looks tougher.