Sign in to follow this  
albert72

Shipping E46 to AU...is it worth it?

Just wanted to know if anyone or any one knew someone that has actually done it. Asking this for a mate who's moving to oz soon and plans to bring his beloved E46. He owns a 2001 E46 328i and apparently the cheapest he could find from Australia is around AU$ 12,000 (2000 E46 328i) with a mileage of 185,000km.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details...r=2&sdmvc=1

I'm aware the re-sale value of E46 has gone down here in NZ over the years but he has already put so much work on his car and might consider shipping it depending on the cost, taxes, etc.

Bottom line is....is it worth it??? :blink:

first thing to look at is if Australia has emissions/frontal impact etc laws like we do. I know an E46 would be banned from coming the opposite way these days.

Short answer, no it's not worth it!

I had the same thought with a WRX i had a few years ago, after insurance, transport costs, 10% Australian GST valuation tax, customs tax 5% and i may be wrong but i think certain brands qualify for a luxury brand tax as well your friend could be looking at $5-7k for a car worth about the same!

I bit the bullet and left the car in storage and bought a late model (01) SS Commodore for $5k (they're cheap as chips) and then flicked on when i left a year late only losing $500

Short answer, no it's not worth it!

I had the same thought with a WRX i had a few years ago, after insurance, transport costs, 10% Australian GST valuation tax, customs tax 5% and i may be wrong but i think certain brands qualify for a luxury brand tax as well your friend could be looking at $5-7k for a car worth about the same!

I bit the bullet and left the car in storage and bought a late model (01) SS Commodore for $5k (they're cheap as chips) and then flicked on when i left a year late only losing $500

Yeah, he was quoted by Taurus Logistics in oz, NZ$4058 which includes shipping, duty and GST. At the rate the market is going, he might still be able to sell it here around 7-8K. With these figures, I think he's better off selling the car

There are a few ways to do it, one that will apply in this situation is the "Personal Import Scheme". The Luxury Car tax only applies if the cars valuation is over a certain figure, from memory it is somewhere around 50-60k mark. It also depends where he is going in Australia as the shipping costs vary quite substantially depending on the destination, and the duty, tax etc is calculated including them.

Tell him to sell it and buy a cheap V8 in Australia, you only live once and its only a 328i.