Sign in to follow this  
cytamen

E36 2-button key programming

Sorry if I haven't searched the forums enough for an answer, but I have one of the 2 button Siemens keys with remote unlocking

Posted Image

After replacing the batteries a couple of years ago, not knowing that you have to be quick to not require a reinitialize, I had to go to the dealer to recode them.

I only brought 1 key with me which went through the laundry and is now out of action, so I need to reprogram the second key which is identical.

The dealership essentially just got in the car, held down a few buttons on the key and got it working.

I found online a few variations on how to do this which mostly say:

Get in the car, sit down, close the door, put the key in and turn it to "1" for a couple of seconds (not more than 5), then take out the key. Hold down unlock for a few seconds and while holding, press lock 3 times and let go of both buttons.. I have done that, and the LED flashes for about 10 seconds on the key but then nothing.

Has anybody done this before who can tell me what I'm doing wrong or is it back to the dealership?

Thanks!

You forgot the final stage... push the unlock button while the LED is flashing. Car should lock & unlock

Edited by *Glenn*

You forgot the final stage... push the unlock button while the LED is flashing. Car should lock & unlock

Ta, I *think* I tried that, but I'll give that a try soon!

I had to do this as well a while back.

Took me a few goes at it. Finally worked when I put the key really close to the mirror, just about touching.

Awesome, finally got it to work after combining both suggestions, thanks a million!