Sign in to follow this  
mops

e30 brake upgrade on cheap

Howdy.

As a rule of thimb the first performance i do is the brake upgrade.

Yes, I do realize that I can go to some reputable place and spend $2k on new oversize calipers, discs, performance pads, etc.

I was wondering whether 5 or 7 series calipers would bolt straight in, wihout any mods ?

I do realize that I'll have to get new discs (slotted is my preference), to match the bigger calipers (front and back). That would give me a nice braking dynamics :) Or I could do 5 stud conversion at the same time...

Thanks in advance,

Mops.

Nothing from 5 or 7 will just bolt in.

5 stud conv will have benefit of a large range of rims you can then use.

A 5lug swap is the best way to go for easy/cheap brake upgrades.

Anything from a 318i's 286x12 solid rotors & calipers to E46 330i 325x25 rotors & calipers will bolt on.

The rears you are stuck with using 318ti brakes (272x10) unless you go custom.

Guest Andrew

the E12 calipers have the same caliper bolts as does the e30 - unsure if they'd fit or not.

Just do the 0800 RACEBRAKES thing.

Guest Spargo

E30 M3 5 lug swap up front, MZ3 rear, and you can use E36 M3 brakes with hub spacers up front. You can run E36 rims too.

Are you Wise?

What part of completely changing your suspension sounds cheap to you.

Go to Steve at 0800 racebrakes, get some decent pads, good fluid, upgrade the rotors (if you want) and buy some braided brake lines. Andrew, David and a few others from the BMW club will be able to advise pricing on that last option.

If you have 500+ horsepower and need to stop, get 5 series front end and an E36 super-touring rear end. That stops a car in the club. Shouldn't cost more than $15k to get that fitted properly.

Guest Andrew

Pads, Slotted Rotors, SS lines, Race Fluid will run you around $1500

Its probably overkill though - so check out www.racebrakes.co.nz to see the options.

I was looking at doing a 5lug conversion on my 1988 320i and contacted BMWarehouse to get the front rotors/calipers from any e36 and the rear rotors/calipers from a e36 318ti, they told me that this conversion is not possible and I would need the e36 hubs/struts.

This doesn't sounds right to me, apart from the rotors/calipers and a set of wheels is there anything else needed to do this conversion?

Regards,

Andy

Guest Andrew

I was looking at doing a 5lug conversion on my 1988 320i and contacted BMWarehouse to get the front rotors/calipers from any e36 and the rear rotors/calipers from a e36 318ti, they told me that this conversion is not possible and I would need the e36 hubs/struts.

This doesn't sounds right to me, apart from the rotors/calipers and a set of wheels is there anything else needed to do this conversion?

Regards,

Andy

you need virtually the whole 318ti rear end.

Regards,

Andy

You will note in my first post I said 5lug SWAP

Not stick E36 brakes on a E30!!!!

Brian at BM Warehouse knows what's needed as I got all my bits from him and I had to tell him in great detail what I was doing.

Cain, I'd be interested to hear more about this car you mention...

Have the use the E36 multi-link rear end in a E30??

5 series fronts sounds odd, they must be on backwards as the E30 has the rack infront of the axle not behind like the 5er!?!?!

Edited by E30-323ti

Anything from a 318i's 286x12 solid rotors & calipers to E46 330i 325x25 rotors & calipers will bolt on.

From what you said, it sounds very much like fitting e36 rotors & calipers onto an e30, meaning you would basically have e36 brakes on your e30.

I may have misunderstood you, correct me if i am wrong.

If rotors & calipers are not considered brakes, than what are?

Regards,

Andy

From what you said, it sounds very much like fitting e36 rotors & calipers onto an e30, meaning you would basically have e36 brakes on your e30.

I may have misunderstood you, correct me if i am wrong.

If rotors & calipers are not considered brakes, than what are?

Regards,

Andy

"A 5lug swap" Means changing the Hubs to 5lugs, the E36 parts being one way of doing this.

Once that is done there are plenty of "easy/cheap brake upgrades" that can be done.

Bit clearer??

Trying to mix 'n match brakes to fit is VERY unwise unless you know what you are doing. Brakes on any car are normally well balanced from the factory. This balance is what stops you swapping ends, crashing into the guy in front etc.

When doing an upgrade, the whole system has to be carefully matched. Putting on bigger front calipers, say 4-pot, without doing anything else, could severly overbrake the front and also make the pedal travel excessive etc. You will probably increase your stopping distance as the front wheels will lock up before the rear brakes start functioning. The combinations are endless.

My advice is to leave brakes to the experts, fit a complete system that has been designed to work as a unit. You and everbody around you will live longer...

so check out www.racebrakes.co.nz to see the options.

As Andrew says, go see these guys, they will put together a system that will work properly. How fast you end up stopping after the conversion will be determined by the size of your wallet!