Sign in to follow this  
timewarrior

E34 LSD internals into my current diff

Hi, my E30 has a Z4 diff (I don't know exactly which one but I'm assuming it's a medium case). Can I transfer the internals from an E34 medium case LSD into mine? Also, what's the gearing like with a 3.91 final drive and an M60 Getrag? Also, is $800 a fair price for the diff if it's done around 80000 km?

Cheers!

i would say you have a z3 diff in your e30 as they will bolt straight in

medium case diffs like used in z3 2.2L 2.8L and 3L

same size as used in e30 325i etc

if the e34 diff is also a medium size then no problems.

i have a 3.91 medium e34 diff for sale

i also have a 3.91 lsd from a z3 medium case if you want something that will bolt straight it

M60?I may be wrong but the V8s prolly use a large case diff for a reason.The torque may be a killer.You will have a sprightly m60 tho cos the usual diff ratio for M60 is uussualy very high, 2.9 i think in the e34!

M60?I may be wrong but the V8s prolly use a large case diff for a reason.The torque may be a killer.You will have a sprightly m60 tho cos the usual diff ratio for M60 is uussualy very high, 2.9 i think in the e34!

Whoops, I meant to write 260, not M60. I'm still pretty noobish at this!

i would say you have a z3 diff in your e30 as they will bolt straight in

medium case diffs like used in z3 2.2L 2.8L and 3L

same size as used in e30 325i etc

if the e34 diff is also a medium size then no problems.

i have a 3.91 medium e34 diff for sale

i also have a 3.91 lsd from a z3 medium case if you want something that will bolt straight it

Yea, I've always thought it was a Z4 diff because that's what the TradeMe ad said when I bought the car...

Thread dig.......

I'm in the middle of transplanting a 188mm LS centre into my 3.15 open at the moment. My research so far indicates that as long as I'm using the same side cover shims in the same place they came out of, lash will remain the same? I'll be stopping in to buy some contact paste tomorrow to confirm proper mesh between the crown & pinion but I'd rather bounce it off people that have done this before.

Input shaft bearings are in great condition, and the oil that came out of the case was clear. Whomever owned the car before it became a pile of parts obviously looked after it!

Ta muchly!