Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

Thinking of a Decat

Car: Model:E34 Touring

Year:1996

Vin number:WBAHJ62020GD13364

Import / NZ new: NZ New

Options ie:Auto, Climate control Airconditioning? very low on options?

I am experiencing some smells in the cabin, burnt fuel and oil, only when the A/C is on.

After some searching, the general diagnosis points to faulty:-

1. Fuel pressure regulator/switch

2. Oil pressure switch

3. EVAP system

4. Valve cover gaskets

5. Dirty oil (probably needs an oil change)

6. Fuel filter

7. MAF sensor dirty

8. lambda/o2 sensors

9. PCV Valves

10. Air filters

11. fuel injector,

12. fuel system leak.

13. Bombed Catalytic converter -hence the Decat.

Am going to see if I can pinpoint the issue soon.

First, I will reset the ECU by unhooking the battery and will update tomorrow.

Thank you.

Edited by The Juggernaut

Hiya

:) Given its a new toy, less donuts or less times around roundabouts 'checking its handling' might = less dizzy.....??!!

On a serious note though, given its a hearse / wagon version, any chance rear door isn't sealing properly on its seals......maybe ingesting into cabin that way?? Seems weird it's only doing it with air-con going though......

De-cat - absolutely!! Same's gonna happen to mine (& a few other mods to make it sound like it should, rather than as it does....... ;) )

its anti freeze you have the leaky joints of the pipes into the heater core.

Paul, how can I determine that to be the cause? I suppose I ought to check coolant levels every morning. Anything else?

After 250k clicks I suppose the Cat has stuffed up?

Paul, how can I determine that to be the cause? I suppose I ought to check coolant levels every morning. Anything else?

After 250k clicks I suppose the Cat has stuffed up?

The leaky heater core is a classic e34 problem.The antifreeze has a particualr smell,and you may have some slight fogging of the screen when you think you shouldnt.The a/c clears it tho.The leak is very slight.Cant help re the cat i didnt have one

^ come to think of it, the windscreen did fog up in the centre when the a/c was off. So does this mean I need to replace the heater core? (egads! ) or are there any other options?

Edit: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...IHKA-content%29 oh hey, here's the DIY guide. Looks like I could plonk in an OBC and a stock CD controller in her at the same time, nice.

Edited by The Juggernaut

The heater core doesn't look too bad to do on these.

it's about $300 us or something to get from Pelican. but you need to eye-ball it to make sure it's the right kind.

Does it have a catalitic? mine doesn't.

Edited by antil33t

^ I am assuming it does, as it is an NZ New car from 1996, I suppose the only way to check is through the VIN or visually inspecting the bottom of the car.

^ I am assuming it does, as it is an NZ New car from 1996, I suppose the only way to check is through the VIN or visually inspecting the bottom of the car.

:rolleyes: Remembering that assumptions are..............

Crawl under for a look I reckon, as even if it did have one, might have been previously removed........

Cats are overated - whole exhaust,including cat 'fell off' my ute - V8 turbo diesel sounds very 'unToyota' now that its breathing through a 3 inch system.......(Cracks me up as my Toyota dealer being REALLY queer & pedantic won't give it a wof, yet VTNZ does no problem......) :)