Sign in to follow this  
tangalife

E39 540i - cut out after start, turns over but wont start!

yea should do.

if car is purposefully trying not to start it may fix the issue long enough to start then stall.

much like you had originally but should then throw code.

yea should do.

if car is purposefully trying not to start it may fix the issue long enough to start then stall.

much like you had originally but should then throw code.

Cool.

Another development, I've noticed there is a blown fuse in the back. I am quite sure this is the fuel pump fuse, just need someone to confirm, I confirmed with another pic of google but the relays were different positioning on that picture so not sure if it definately is the same set up.

In my pic, the one I have circled is blown. This one is a 15A Fuse and according to my diagram the Fuel Pump is Fuse #54 and a 15A, this one would be fuse #54 if we carry on from glove box fuse numbering. The only other 15A listed is for a heater and the other blue one at the end is a 15A, and is intact). Also noting, in the glovebox #17 and 31 are Fuel Pump fuses, 17 is missing and 31 is there and intact.

Soooo hoping this is just a damn blown fuse problem (and will be embarrissed if it is also).

I also tried to listen for the fuel pump, pulled the back seat out put my ear right up to the rubber cover and got my GF to turn over to Position 2, honestly couldnt hear anything. There are some noises going on about the car but none seemed to come directly from the pump with my ear up to it. My next step was to jump the relay and listen, thats when I found the blown fuse.

And on another note, the car stopped cranking so im suspecting the battery has gone flat again so somethings going on there :rolleyes:

(PS - is my pic right where I've labelled the FP relay?)

Posted Image

Edited by tangalife

yup thats where my fp fuse is crack your glove box open see where the fuses are there should be a row of new fuses look for a 20amp from memory swap it over see what happens

Edited by Mr2low

what side is the cps on I noticed when i had the ignition on the passenger side bank at the very top corner was buzzing? this wasn't with the car running as my issue is the fuel pump

that buzzing is probably the o2 sensors pre heating.

yup, i had a problem like this once, turned out to be my fuel pump, so could be the blown fuse otherwise you need to get a new fuel pump.

Hi team,

Had a problem this morning. Started the car up, but 10 seconds later it dropped revs and then cut out. It wouldn't start after that, I would turn the key and it would just keep turning over and not fire up.

I've had the car about 6 months now, ever since i've had it I would get a rough/lumpy/shaky idle for the first few mins of driving. So i'd pull up to traffic lights and it would do it, but eventually go away (almost like its warmed up). Usually worse on colder mornings.

The prev owner said he had done the CCV/CVV and also replaced spark plugs, so that could maybe rule them out the spark plugs still? Maybe I should check the plugs anyway. What about coils???

I also cleaned the MAF and ICV earlier in the year trying to solve my idle problem so those should be sweet.

Hey mate,

The issue is your ignition coils - I've had the same issue before - replaced mine and the car ran perfectly again.

Ray from HellBM helped me with this - did a scan etc - good guy!

Hey mate,

The issue is your ignition coils - I've had the same issue before - replaced mine and the car ran perfectly again.

Ray from HellBM helped me with this - did a scan etc - good guy!

I have a full set of 8 used Bosch coils. Good working order, I replaced with new last weekend as preventative but happy to part with these for $100 for the lot.

Hey mate,

How would bad coils blow the FP fuse?

I think you have found the problem.

If i was DIY'ing that I would first replace the fuel filter(s). If that fails test the pump and go from there.

Working with fuel gives me the shits however so i would get a working 2nd hand pump from Ray or BMW World and pay the man to swap it out. Replace your filter(s) at the same time.