Sign in to follow this  
timewarrior

Aftermarket Sunroofs

Hi guys,

My E30 had a sunroof which was replaced by a leaky piece of CF so I've been looking into getting an aftermarket sunroof to replace it. Webasto seems to be the most common aftermarket option but their pop-up is too small as I need something big enough that the CF panel and steel around it can be completely cut out.

On Amazon I've found a crowd called CR Laurence that make aftermarket pop ups in varying sizes. They do one called a Newport which comes in 20x32 inch and is featured in this video (to give an idea of what it looks like)

CRL have an Australia branch that has them in stock and a NZ distributor who I contacted but he wants $680NZ per unit shipped. To buy them from Amazon they are 250USD per unit which combined with shipping and tax on entry into the country comes to $600NZ. I would have thought there would be a bit more economy of scale getting them through Australia but obviously someone somewhere is making a bigger margin.

I played around with the numbers and if you bought 5 at once and paid GST they could come down to $450 each.

So are there another 4 people who are keen on setting up a group buy through Amazon? I've never done one before so would need some advice from those who are interested...

maybe im missing something in the above post, but whats the advantage over the stock item?

Edit:

also, group buys dont work if you only have one possible supplier. they are the only supplier, so they can charge what they want. thats economics 103. sucessfull group buys that happen here or anywhere else only work if you have several suppliers to take your business to if you dont like one crowds prices.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Well, mine was taken out to fit roll cage so the advantage for me is... having a sunroof. Others without sunroofs might be interested.

Group buy is for Amazon to get the shipping combined, as stated above... $600 each for one and $450 each for 5.

Quite simple.

maybe im missing something in the above post, but whats the advantage over the stock item?

Edit:

also, group buys dont work if you only have one possible supplier. they are the only supplier, so they can charge what they want. thats economics 103. sucessfull group buys that happen here or anywhere else only work if you have several suppliers to take your business to if you dont like one crowds prices.

Nobody want's an aftermarket sunroof for $450 landed? Webastos are over $700 for a small one and the Newport 20x32 inch in this thread is $680.

The amount of people who want a new sunroof is slim and out of them not many want to cut up their roof for a pop up when you cna just get a second hand one.

The market for these is more likely to work for caravans, van and old cars.

even then dont expect a group buy, you could buy 5 and sell the other four on trademe over the next year or so and maybe break even.

If you need to plug the hole you would be better finding a non sunroof roof and stiching the whole roof onto the car.

did I miss something ? Why not hit up your friendly wrecker for a good second hand unit and re-install ? Or even just the tin and seal if you dont want the whole carrier. Aftermarket is a bit rangi.

i believe the factory unit had to be removed due to roll cage, so internally it must be flush.

Cage means it can't have a factory one.

did I miss something ? Why not hit up your friendly wrecker for a good second hand unit and re-install ? Or even just the tin and seal if you dont want the whole carrier. Aftermarket is a bit rangi.