Sign in to follow this  
mops

Street Dyno

Hello.

I just thought I'll share with you on my latest very cool find.

This software allows you to producte dyno-line graphs of your engine power output. All you need is a laptop, some wire and two resistors (max $1 at local DSE).

As well you will need to know the weight of your car and geat and diffr ratios.

First time I read about it I was a bit sceptical, cos those G-meter devieces that are supposed to tell your car's max HP are very inaccurate. However, let me assure you this thing is damn accrate. I get +-2hp variance between runs. Once I filled up my car the reading was 3 hp worse than normal (i forgot to account for extra 40kg's of fuel).

Best of all, if you have a laptop (even if you dont have a laptop there are alternative ways of getting data to your stationary PC), you can make as many runs as you want/need, as it does not cost you anything.

This software is free, it's a big buggy, but once you get your pickup level calibratred, it works as a charm.

Now, this software is NOT a perfect dyno substitute, as the actual max power/torque figure might be off (possibly due to inacurate wiehgt, worn tyres, wind durning a test run) , but it's the high consistency that is very important here. Now you can do some mods/test fuel additives/etc and measure your results next time you are on the street.

Screeendump of my latest run... e30, 325iC, stock.

Posted Image

I would be pretty keen to see your graphs. If you have E30 325i that was recently dynoed.

Even better... next time you are on the dyno - take readyng with street ryno at the same time and compare real results !

I keen to try out that thing on your car, so we can compare :)

[EDIT]: forgot the link doh !

Street Dyno Homepage

Edited by mops

Yeah i saw yours(Gus) and Cains car in the latest performance car. Who's was the bimmer that got 170kw i think? The silver one.

is it in PC? might have to get it......the silver one was grants...88kW.

is it in PC? might have to get it......the silver one was grants...88kW.

Mind you, that was at less than 5,000 rpm's when mine leaned right out....bloody Motronic 325i ECU on a 2.7.

Cheers

Grant

I got 172kW and the made a typo for Milan's 730. He got 131kW according to his run, they published 171kW.

Gus, I've got a copy if you want to have a look at NZPC. It was the last dyno run they are publishing too, so we were lucky.

I wouldn't try to compare your results to Gus's. His is doing better than your average E30 325i.

Edited by cainchapman

Guest Andrew

me max result was 137 kW at wheels - expecting a bit more once we get the headers + new injectors in.

p.s You can't even compare real dyno results for power readings let alone a "pretend" dyno.

The numbers mean bugger all.

me max result was 137 kW at wheels - expecting a bit more once we get the headers + new injectors in.

p.s You can't even compare real dyno results for power readings let alone a "pretend" dyno.

137kw, what engine was that ?

what sorta mods ?

Guest Andrew

137kw, what engine was that ?

what sorta mods ?

m20 b25 -

not exactly stock

Link ECU

Full rebuilt

Lightened Crank, Con rods, Flywheel full balance - Gasket blueprint

Rebuilt medium-port 323 head (raised compression)

Headers (getting made)

Intake - a pipe will do since I don't need the AFM

Injectors maxed out making that power

did you download this free???

it wont open for me, says not registered

sure... free download on that site. you need to get the older version, not the version 1.0