Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E36 Teardown

How long does it take to remove prop shaft, exhaust centre section, auto trans, trans heat exchanger and diff from an E36?

Have got a few hours today and most of tomorrow free, wondering if doing the prep work this weekend for the manual + LSD swap would be realistic on my own.

Also, I'd like to delete the cats while the exhaust is out. If I were to replace them with straight pipe how much extra noise would it create? Bearing in mind the build year was '94 and it's done 170,000 km now I reckon they will be quite restrictive. Weren't the NZ new models supplied without cats? Or would I be better off running Coby resonators / center muffler section off another model?

Last thing I want is more volume, am quite happy with the level it sits at currently. TIA!

Edited by Ahmedsinc

How long does it take to remove prop shaft, exhaust centre section, auto trans, trans heat exchanger and diff from an E36?

Have got a few hours today and most of tomorrow free, wondering if doing the prep work this weekend for the manual + LSD swap would be realistic on my own.

Also, I'd like to delete the cats while the exhaust is out. If I were to replace them with straight pipe how much extra noise would it create? Bearing in mind the build year was '94 and it's done 170,000 km now I reckon they will be quite restrictive. Weren't the NZ new models supplied without cats? Or would I be better off running Coby resonators / center muffler section off another model?

Last thing I want is more volume, am quite happy with the level it sits at currently. TIA!

should have enough time. Might need a friend to help you get the transmission and diff out, they are surprisingly heavy. assuming you dont have a hoist, pro-tip, get the car up as high as you can, get the jackstands on full extension. you will need the extra height.

as far as exhaust goes, Leaded petrol was phased out completely by about 1992 or so, NZ new cars didnt have cats before that because it wrecked cats, but at the time and after it they started to come in so common for them to have from then on with a sticker in the fuel cap saying unleaded only.

I ran two resonators and a glasspack on my M5x was very loud and probably not legal. if you got the stock back box then just straight decat otherwise you will probably want a muffler in there, resonator may not be enough

you should be fine but one rounded nut will kill your day, anything tight just use penetrating oil and come back to it tomorow.

especially exhaust

Still using the standard back box, so chop & weld it is then :) A Remus / Schinzel backbox would be nice at some stage but they're getting harder to find used for a reasonable price. Will have to reintroduce some more shh up the front when it happens I guess. Didn't think of the leaded fuel link, makes a lot of sense.

Sweet, will go pick up the ramps this afternoon :)

Edit: Just how heavy is the Jatco? 50kg? 95kg?? Looks big & ugly anyway!

Edited by Ahmedsinc

around 75kg i believe, was rated at 160lbs empty.

dont try to get under it, you will lose, a man learns alot about himself when he has a trans stuck on his chest and his only options are dragging it over his face or his "old fella"

around 75kg i believe, was rated at 160lbs empty.

dont try to get under it, you will lose, a man learns alot about himself when he has a trans stuck on his chest and his only options are dragging it over his face or his "old fella"

Hmm, 75kg plus 7-odd litres of ATF will nudge it over 80kg. Too much for these old ams to gudie softly back to earth. Good thing the father-in-law has a gearbox jack eh! :ph34r:

Good to know - forewarned is forearmed!

I found if you cut the cats out out and replace with a coby, it sounds wicked. I chose to use one larger coby rather than two smaller ones ie two into one and then back into two. Noise was noway near illegal. 2c :)

Biggest concern is keeping the dB level low enough so's not to aggravate / damage the 5 month olds hearing.

Kinda knocks a lot of fun out of the equation but thats parenthood I guess.

Has anyone used a Flowmaster for a backbox? Have heard a number of sweet sounding V8 systems but never a german 6. As mentioned I'd like to find a good Remus / Supersprint muffler but they're pretty rare secondhand :(

Will run with straight pipes for the moment and see how it works out