Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

Fuel Filter crapped out?

hi,

i am getting when the car is in N , its aaauto, the idle is sometimes dying and almost having the engine die and having to start it again if this makes any sense im very tired.

Anyway i was told it may be a crappy old fuel filter as i doubt its ever been done and ive got 186kms on the clock.

What do you think, and how hard is it to change a filter and what do they cost if poss?

thank you :)

I am not sure about e30, I had my e36 fuel filter done by BMWorkShop for around $120, parts, labour and GST included

50 bucks - easy to change

Just don't change it in an enclosed space, no matter how well you think you have drained the fuel lines, you will spill petrol everywhere.

Cheers

Grant

Sounds more like a vacuum leak to me

do you know how i would tell for sure, or look for anything obvious? thanks

If your car has a terrible idle and dies then a vacuum leak is a major cause

It's easy to work out, check all the intake pipes for cracks and listen for a sucking sound with the engine running, give it a rev and listen. Especially check the rubber boot running from the Air Flow Meter to the Throttle Body as these crack on most E30's over time.

Change the fuel filter after doing all the freebie checks and stuff, no point changing it if you don't need to but you should change it as part of the servicing of your car.