Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

Singapore imports - to be avoided at all costs?

I wouldn't buy any vehicle sight-unseen, and definately not a singaporean import.

Worth a look if it's still unsold once it gets here, but I'd be very very careful. The problem with Singaporean imports is that most of the problems are unetectable, and you won't see the symptoms until a few months or years down the track.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but that said, it may also be a fine bargain - its up to you to weigh the risks.

I see it has a 2yr mechanical waarranty - I would be reading the conditions of this very carefully and insisting it cover any electronic failures.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Steer clear. Singaporean imports are known to have electrical faults because of the humidity there.

Like Bravo said - not straight away but down the track a bit. I'd rather have the peace of mind of NZ New. But thats just me. Of course NZ New have problems, like all cars , but if you can avoid even more coming from Singapore I would reccomend it. Ring BMW and talk to an Technician and get a 2nd opinion, as they'd know more about what happens with Singapore imports.

We have a '94 730i in the family, ex Singapore and have had it for 5.5 years.

When you turn the lights on, the computer tells you the brake lights have failed. End of electrical faults. Did it when we bought it, still does, nothing else wrong and we've covered 100kms in it in that time, making it 150 odd in total. Like anything, it's luck of the draw. I've known NZ new cars with way worse faults. We've never even asked to get it fixed.

Guest Andrew

thats an awesome price on that car - i have no trouble with sing or jap imports.

Only issue is - its a 99 - i'd avoid any first year production car.

Nice wheels on it... heh heh :lol:

Def. just be weary of what was said above, also generally singapore cars have more wear on interior and rubber/plastic bits due to heat..

Can never go wrong with a mechanical warranty tho, as long as the excess aint too high.

Main thing with Singapore import is electrical, rubber seals, leather seats. It's very hot and very humid over there. Under-cover parking parking there is pretty much a luxury, hence there's a lot of sun damage to Singapore cars.

It's a cultural thing that they put a lot of gadgets into their car, hence the high failure rate associated with it due to the heat. It's quite often to see 318i with TV, CD-changer, full leather, sun-roof and electric seats. (these are almost un-heard of with NZ-new cars.)

Finally, paint and seals (esp sunroof seals) condition as well. Some of them are pretty neglected.

We have a '94 730i in the family, ex Singapore and have had it for 5.5 years.

When you turn the lights on, the computer tells you the brake lights have failed. End of electrical faults

make sure the bulbs are all the same,check the centre brake light,and if its like a lot of other models change the brake light switch.....if you want to get rid of the warning that is....

Edited by kiwi535

Will try it, but not sure anyone's too bothered. I assume in my ignorance that the brake light switch is connected to the pedal somewhere??