Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

e34 - question on keys

So my 1993 540i has a different key for the driver door.

The key that goes in the ignition has a standard black plastic body, no fob. This key works the other doors and the boot.

The key for the drivers door does not work in the other doors or the ignition but has the remote buttons.

Is there a way to reprogram the fob to trigger the central locking ? I'm assuming it has come from a differnt car along the the driver door lock.

Anyone know if these models need a chip key to start them, as above my ingition key just has a plastic body like an e30 key.

Edited by etwenty1

These are the only keys its got?? Mine came with 3..........2 with fob. Somewhere 2 keys have been lost for yours I think, & it sounds like you only really have the valet key for the car itself...........???

Edited by Blue-540i

These are the only keys its got?? Mine came with 3..........2 with fob. Somewhere 2 keys have been lost for yours I think, & it sounds like you only really have the valet key for the car itself...........???

correct. I'm pretty sure mine being a 1993 does not have EWS which requires a chip in the key for ignition?. Not sure if mine even had keyless entry as standard or if they all did.

I could move the lock tumbler from the passenger door but that still leaves me with no keyless entry.

Yea, that was my first thought too re passenger door lock till I clicked that doesn't solve the problem...........mines 1995 build, & not that it helps any, but the keyless bit plays up on mine - drivers door doesn't 'always' lock via the remote, & if you try to unlock with the fob, its 50/50 on whether the system has had baaaaad drugs while you're away, & thus factory alarm goes berko when door opens.... :rolleyes: Very unkooooooool!!!

the early ones like yours dont have ews and most dont have keyless entry.

you can get the lock barral recoded by a locksmith so it works with your ignition key etc

get a alarm installed if you want remote door locking

get a alarm installed if you want remote door locking

In Dads E30, we put a cheap remote locking unit from Trademe in. I think it was $35.

I fitted it in the boot, because you have a power supply, can hook up to the indicators, and tap into the boot locking to lock and unlock the car. Pretty tamper proof in there too!

Oh yeah... the key you have *may* just be a light, not a remote - that's what Dad's E30 had.

In Dads E30, we put a cheap remote locking unit from Trademe in. I think it was $35.

I fitted it in the boot, because you have a power supply, can hook up to the indicators, and tap into the boot locking to lock and unlock the car. Pretty tamper proof in there too!

good idea cheers

good idea cheers

E34's have a factory alarm plug under the back seat with all the wires you could ever need.