Sign in to follow this  
twisted

E39 528i ACS

Hi Team :)

Picked this up on Tuesday. Scored it dirt cheap at auction. A LOT of car for the pocket money paid for it.

Deets are:

'97 528i

Fjordgrau Metallic

Staggered 18" Schnitzer Type 3's

Schnitzer Rear apron

Schnitzer side skirts.

missing Schnitzer front lip (Was there when PO bought it at the beginning of the year, but is now gone)

The list of things to fix:

Front tyres

Brake light CCM warning

Coolant flush

Find front lip

Handbrake
Brake shimmy at highway speed
Dead Pixel problem
Widescreen upgrade + DVB-T support?
M5 style rear Lip
Paint for bonnet/Boot - oxidisation on bonnet, boot paint a bit thin

Condensating headlight

Rim Refurb

Shadowline

Front end rattle

Rear caliper rattle

Vanos seals

Valve Cover Gasket

Cooling system refresh

Motorsport Steering wheel

Probably will take me a wee while to gather some momentum with this. Also have a Bike project on the go.

Edit: Added some phone pics taken in yesterdays storm.

post-2922-0-54650200-1381455905.jpg

post-2922-0-83734600-1381797883.jpg

post-2922-0-47769000-1381797893.jpg

post-2922-0-71348800-1381797902_thumb.jp

Edited by -Alias-

Mmmm, nice project, particulary if it was cheap. (No, I don't wanna know how much - I'll just kick myself on missing it for the rims alone!!) Should be fun!!

Yeah, should be a bit of fun. If i keep it long term i'd like to go manual, but i said that with my 540, and it never happened. So should keep my trap shut! :ph34r:

Bit easier to get the bits for the sixes though.

You'll have to let me know what its like on fuel - theres a chance I'm going to be needing something else in the near future, & a 2.8 E39 appeals (actually, its really the only 6 that appeals much to me), so I'd probably look at a 528 if I couldn't find a 540 - I'd just keep the E34 for weekends that way.

Nice this has got the ACS bits too!! Need more pics, haha!!

I would rather have got an M54 530i, but as i said - this was cheap, plus the added bonus of ACS goodies.

Doesn't seem to be too bad so far, i'm halfway through tank number 1 and am at 340ish k. I have a 50k commute on the open road to work though. Best result was this morning with minimal traffic - did 7.9l/100km over those 50k.

Traffic and city driving sees a dramatic rise in consumption of course. :)

I think I was driving behind you today after work on Tinakori Rd.

The Type 3's really sets it apart and nice kit. Looks much better in real life (even though it was raining).

This was the one from Turners right?? I thought it was a good deal especially with the ACs :-)

yep that was me! what were you in?

I think I was driving behind you today after work on Tinakori Rd.

The Type 3's really sets it apart and nice kit. Looks much better in real life (even though it was raining).

Yep, thats the one :)

andy_e39, on 11 Oct 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

This was the one from Turners right?? I thought it was a good deal especially with the ACs :-)

Edited by -Alias-

So. Have done a few things since I picked her up.

- Replaced cluster LCD (dead pixels are now gone, though I note after some time running, the whole LCD unit becomes quite orange. Purchased the LCD off trademe and I think that it is rubbish quality. I intend to source a new LCD at some time in the future)

- Fixed the OBC/TV screen: Appeared to be a loose ribbon cable inside the unit. Still flickers on occasion but works 99%.

- Did a partial coolant flush and noticed that the cooling system bits are all old and brittle. Have ordered a bunch of items from Schmiedmann, and picked up a genuine coolant reservoir from JG BMW (Schmiedmann didnt seem to carry the correct one in stock? Dealer was about $20 more expensive than pelican for this part)

- Plasti Dipped the Chrome window trim and side trim. Used a CRC product which I found at supercheap. Seems to work much the same. Came out ok - quite happy with the look.

Still a wee way to go with this, but still happy as with it :)

Pic for fred:

post-2922-0-61060000-1384367982.jpg

Edited by -Alias-

Those ACS rims would look heaps better....................................

If they were slotted under my car..................... :):D;) Could do ya a ripper deal on some style 42's................!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you're dealing nicely to any quirks its got though - good stuff!! Nice unit I reckon.

^^ Cheers mate. If it didn't have the ACS body kit, then I'd consider your offer! Though E39's have some funky hub bore, and e34 wheels will not work without machining the centre bore to suit. e39 wheels will work on e34's though provided you use hubcentric rings.

I prefer ACS type II's rather than the type III's, though i havent seen too many sets of staggered type III's around.

Will continue fixing this up, but really still unsure if i'll keep it long term or flick it and find a tidy 540i Motorsport (I do miss the V8!)

Yea, that's what I had to do re rims/rings, as my BBS's are off a E39......... :) Theres a few 540 motorsports around at what I reckon is cheap $$$$ for what they really are.......they don't seem to be selling though even at cheap money.......sometimes I think its what Id like instead of what I've got, but mine is ok, has potential, & has less $hit to 'go wrong' I suppose, like no VANOS etc......

I think more pics of yours are needed though - seems to be a lack of front shots........... :)

Damn that car looks good! Great job on the chrome window frames. I love the colour and I think it suits the E39s perfectly. Seems like every 528i owner has the same way of thinking... "Perfect car but needs a little more power" hence buying a 540i further down the track :D

Thanks Man, Yeah i agree. They DIY Shadowline looks much better than the factory chrome. My previous two BMW's were both E34 540's, hence the desire for another V8 :)

• Like 1

Update.

Have found a Genuine ACS front lip for it, will be taking it in to the plastic welders next week to be repaired, and then it will be off to the paint shop to be painted, along with the bonnet and front bumper. Have fitted a Msport three spoke steering wheel with volume controls etc, and have accumulated most parts and tools i need to do the vanos and cooling system. Fixed a rattle in the front brake disc shield and a rattle in one of the rear calipers.

My Monitor has gone south again, so will have to pull the headunit and open it up again and see what i can do for a more permanent fix. I also intend to add an Aux in port via the redundant tape deck when i'm in there. Getting sick of newstalk ZB.

Unlikely to get anything mechanical done till some time in march, but can look at doing a DIY if anyone is keen. Though i'm not so good at taking pics. Can try though!

Edited by -Alias-
  • Like 1

Looks good! Just need the roof spoiler and mirrors now... Sorry, I won't let mine go! You can get a knock-off ABS plastic roof spoiler for less than $100 on fleabay, mirrors will be harder to come by.

I had my eye on those mirrors you scored too! I prefer genuine where possible, especially since the rest of the kit is.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Awesome man, before reading your post looking through pictures I was thinking the front end is the only thing 'off' about the car. :D Good score.

Ok. Time for an update.

I've done the following since my last post:

New monitor/head unit. FYI: E38 monitors fit and work, but the e39 trim won't fit without modification.

New radiator

New thermostat

New thermostat housing

New water pump

New hoses

New coolant level sensor

New fan clutch

New serpentine belt idler

New crank sensor

New cam sensor

New VCG

New besian vanos seals

Good used vanos solenoid

New CCV valve.

Now goes like a new one.

Still haven't sorted the body, this will have to wait until I find work.