Sign in to follow this  
popasmurf

new member from new plymouth

hiya im chris, new member from new plymouth. stoked there is such an awesome forum available to use. primarily joined up as just today my alternator seems to have given up the ghost! will strat searching around the forum for tips on how to fix but any help with links very much appreciated. look forward to being a member. cheers

post-51171-0-69662600-1381989613.jpg

Welcome, loving the look of your car! Almost looks exactly like my old car, same colour, same wheel! Not too sure about the altenator but I'm sure someone will chime in. :)

Welcome Chris! Not too many New Plymouth members here so good to have another join. Might see you around.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the welcone guys. Just a quick update on the alternator situation...... I ended up woth a $1200 bill due to my own naievety! To cut a very long story short look for your own parts, dont trust what the repair shop tells you in regards to prices of parts etc and shop around! Also stay away from merv lucas auto electrical.... I found out after they had done a full replacement alternator at a part cost of $710 that the regulator (the part which had gone in the original alternator which I orginally just wanted rebuilt ) was only a $165 part but they told me the regulator on its own was worth more than a full replacement alternator! ....seems they just couldn't be bothered doing a rebuild... anyhow lesson learnt and all back up and running now :)

welcome love the look of the car .

• Like 1

Hiya. I'd be debateing the issue further & a bit harder with them if it was me.............

Hope ya get to enjoy it a bit now though..........

Hey thanks for the welcone guys. Just a quick update on the alternator situation...... I ended up woth a $1200 bill due to my own naievety! To cut a very long story short look for your own parts, dont trust what the repair shop tells you in regards to prices of parts etc and shop around! Also stay away from merv lucas auto electrical.... I found out after they had done a full replacement alternator at a part cost of $710 that the regulator (the part which had gone in the original alternator which I orginally just wanted rebuilt ) was only a $165 part but they told me the regulator on its own was worth more than a full replacement alternator! ....seems they just couldn't be bothered doing a rebuild... anyhow lesson learnt and all back up and running now :)

A regulator mighy be cheap on its own, but if they where going to do full rebuild then a full alternator at $710 would be likely recommendation from most workshops, especially if its genuine alternator, much better for long lasting.

Rebuilding alternators and started motors is a dying trade, not many people do this anymore

Welcome poppasmurf. I hear ya mate, there are some corrupt 'so called' European agents in New Plymouth. From my own personal experiance of getting torn a new one ( avoid a certain subaru/european dealer on devon st) theres nothing worse than getting a sh*t job done and getting cheated out of your hard earned cash.

My advise for all BMW owners in Taranaki, take it to the guy at Pitstop on Leach Street. They are a South African couple who own it, he has done his whole trade on BMWs right from the e21s thru to the late 2000s in South Africa. He has all the gear and software and knows first hand all the weaknesses and flaws of each model with advise of things to keep an eye out for. He has been a wealth of knowledge for both my E46 touring and E30 sedan. I trusted him with my E46 for all repairs and servicing and hes open about costs and your best options. I could even supply my own parts if I thought it was going to be cheaper, he is pretty easy going and has a great parts supplier also. By far I would put my name to his service and skills and I dont even get a cut, haha.

Welcome to the site too!!

Will see you round

Travis

Welcome poppasmurf. I hear ya mate, there are some corrupt 'so called' European agents in New Plymouth. From my own personal experiance of getting torn a new one ( avoid a certain subaru/european dealer on devon st) theres nothing worse than getting a sh*t job done and getting cheated out of your hard earned cash.

My advise for all BMW owners in Taranaki, take it to the guy at Pitstop on Leach Street. They are a South African couple who own it, he has done his whole trade on BMWs right from the e21s thru to the late 2000s in South Africa. He has all the gear and software and knows first hand all the weaknesses and flaws of each model with advise of things to keep an eye out for. He has been a wealth of knowledge for both my E46 touring and E30 sedan. I trusted him with my E46 for all repairs and servicing and hes open about costs and your best options. I could even supply my own parts if I thought it was going to be cheaper, he is pretty easy going and has a great parts supplier also. By far I would put my name to his service and skills and I dont even get a cut, haha.

Welcome to the site too!!

Will see you round

Travis

Merv Lucas is a massive rip. +1 on Pit Stop. Adrian the owner actually worked for BMW Racing Team in SA... My father does all the auto electrical work for them too.

A regulator mighy be cheap on its own, but if they where going to do full rebuild then a full alternator at $710 would be likely recommendation from most workshops, especially if its genuine alternator, much better for long lasting.

Rebuilding alternators and started motors is a dying trade, not many people do this anymore

It's not a dying trade. Rebuilding alternators and starter motors are done more now than ever before. My father is an Auto Electrician here in NP and it's all he pretty much does now is rebuilds for all the garages here.