Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Blown bulb within Instructment Cluster

The instructment cluster has a blown bulb in it, do I have the take the steering wheel off before I can take the cluster out to replace the bulb?

If there's an driver air-bag, is there anything I should know before I start removing stuff?

post-6-1127476392.jpg

thats what i thougt i had.

now i just wack out a break beat on my dash, and it lights up again.

Yeah. My bimmer cluster lights seem to be quite easy to blow. You should disconnect the negative battery terminal and prevent it from grounding on the car. You're supposed to remove the airbag and i haven't tried this without doing so and wouldn't like to find out why.

Remove the two screws at the top of the cluster near the edge of the clear plastic.

Tilt the top forward and disconnect the wiring harness. There is just a locking lever that holds the wiring harness in place.

Do you need help getting the airbag out?

I don't really want to touch the airbag unless I absolutely have to, I heard some said as long as you got a tilt wheel, you'll be able to get the cluster out. I have yet to try that, thanks for the offer, I'll sing out if I need help taking the air bag out.