Sign in to follow this  
gmccormack

5 speed conversion kit

I have everything needed to convert a prefacelift automatic 318 to 5 speed for sale. Includes gearbox, slave and master cylinders, driveshaft, diff etc. I'm told it has recently been fitted with a new clutch too. Can be test driven at the moment but engine will be coming out soon, so if your interested in test driving the box please be quick $600 ono. Ph 299 7942 or PM me.

hey can the parts minus the g/box fit my conversion? i know the drive shafy wont? but clutch etc i will buy ?

thanks

Guest Andrew

hey can the parts minus the g/box fit my conversion? i know the drive shafy wont? but clutch etc i will buy ?

thanks

dude buy a new clutch.

dude buy a new clutch

Absolutely agree with Andrew here, the box is such a *&&%*& mission to remove and replace that it is NOT worth trying to scrimp on bits that might fail.

Maybe put unreconditioned hydraulic cylinders on if you are short of cash, as they are relatively easy to remove later, but put a new clutch kit (clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing) and new pilot bearing in to save yourself a lot of hassle and money if the second hand clutch fails!

Absolutely agree with Andrew here, the box is such a *&&%*& mission to remove and replace that it is NOT worth trying to scrimp on bits that might fail.

Maybe put unreconditioned hydraulic cylinders on if you are short of cash, as they are relatively easy to remove later, but put a new clutch kit (clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing) and new pilot bearing in to save yourself a lot of hassle and money if the second hand clutch fails!

what do you mean??

its fun! duh

got getting gearbox back on down to an art form. hold subframe, push with feet

genius

thanks

No. Nothing is of any use to a 320 conversion, except for the master cylinder.

What brand and model of gearbox

It's the stock prefacelift 318i Getrag box. Sorry I don't know the model number off hand, anyone?

got getting gearbox back on down to an art form. hold subframe, push with feet

And here I was thinking that it was only the oldest profession in the world that did their job lying on their backs with their feet in the air..!!! Enter Gus...

There were Getrag 240's on 320's aswell. Presumably with different bellhousings, but if you consult the online ETK - the majority of manual 320 models list the 'box as either the sport or overdrive version of the getrag 240.

Prob doesn't help here, but I was previously always under the impression that 240's were only used on the 4 cyl. models.