Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

318ti m50 swap question

Hi guys (and gals)

I am currently amidst an m50 rebuild (for future forced induction build) and manual conversion into my 97 318ti. The only last thing I haven't been able to figure out properly, and the internet is lacking Info on, is this.

I am taking the entire loom, engine and gearbox out of donor 325is, taking the entire loom engine and gearbox of my 318ti, and installing the m50 into the ti. The only thing I am stuck on is the dash. Because of the multitude of different switches and controls between the cars,

Is it possible to just fit the entire dash from the 325 into the 318ti, or will an easier road be to work out all of the wiring, and rewire to fit the ti switches and knobs, etc. electronics isn't my strongest point and would feel far more comfortable straight swapping the dash over, but was wondering first and foremost if it was possible.

I will be starting a build thread shortly!

Many regards in advance,

Nick (welly)

The engine loom separates from the body loom at a plug. You probably have to repin it... and hopefully the M50 is non-ews.

I have no idea. Maybe try on 318ti.org?

I did not know that but that makes perfect sense. Yes it's Bosch red label 413 ecu/non ews :)

have done this swap before with a 328i engine and engine loom straight into a 318ti with a 5spd etc .

pretty straight forward if using a early non ews engine loom ecu setup . you just need to bypass the starter wire where it goes through the ews box.

you will need to use the 318ti cluster then get the rev counter reclaibrated (costs about $100)

call me if you need more info 021433600

Thank you for that Brent! Yes I have pre-ews 413

Red label ecu which must make things easier there! So the internal loom will mate somewhere with the engine loom? I haven't pulled the loom right out of the 325is yet, but I'm sure I'll figure

It out when I do!!

Re calibration of the ti cluster is cool, although am

I able to swap in the 6cyl cluster?

I able to swap in the 6cyl cluster?

No... pin outs are different