Sign in to follow this  
pw95

Rev counter

Hello, my rev counter on my E30 isn't working, ive put another rev counter in but still isn't working any suggestions would be highly appreciated

I can remember which pin number but check the tachometer signal in the C101 plug in the engine bay (big round plug that isnt the diag plug). (some one else here will know off hand)
You can use a voltmeter to check for initial voltage or it you want to check the square wave signal use an oscilloscope.

Next thing to look at is the instrument cluster. It will possible be the cogs in the tach, batteries or leaked batteries in the warning light board or the main board may have a lifted track. All fairly easy to sort out.

and lots of info on the net about it.

The number of times I have refurbished mine is silly. Right now I have a problem where the rev gauge shaft spins inside the needle causing it to read low after giving it some on the track. I'm looking for an e30 M3 tachometer which goes up to 8000rpm

with my m30 conversion my tach wasnt working, ive run a wire from the ecu to the blue wire in the cluster loom. works fine.

this could help you.

Hey bro can u put up a photo of where on the ecu u connected the wire to which blue wire in the cluster loom ?? cheers