Sign in to follow this  
danutt

im doing the thrust arms on an e39

anyone on here lend me a joint popper thingy? one uses a bolt and slowly pries the joint away from the strut, the other is a pickle fork...both im sure will work

its 62 bux at repco and in the attempt to lower costs im keen to loan it from someone here perhaps for some beers:)

give me a text or qik call 021 148 6554

ill pick it up from pretty much anywhere:)

Just use a big hammer around the arm where the ball joint sits and It should drop out. If not level the nut with the top the thread on the bj and give it a few taps.

Hehe bj....

Just use a big hammer around the arm where the ball joint sits and It should drop out. If not level the nut with the top the thread on the bj and give it a few taps.

Hehe bj....

Crazy idea unless you want to kill someone.

E39 have alloy hubs, and i have seen many broken/cracked from this idea, use a proper splitter tool,

You can do that with cast steel but not alloy

my 740i (same suspension setup) took alot of effort to get it out, i beat the hub then used penatrant, then had to use a fork, that got it but took alot of beating.

i would recomend using a proper penetrant (not wd40) and giving it plenty of time to penetrate.

hehe penetrate...

remember to pre-load the suspension before torquing up the bolts eh, but you probably know that already.

....supercheap were cheaper than that when i bought one.

hehe pre-load?

Didnt realize they were alloy. My bad.

Also pre-load works haha :D

my 740i (same suspension setup) took alot of effort to get it out, i beat the hub then used penatrant, then had to use a fork, that got it but took alot of beating.

i would recomend using a proper penetrant (not wd40) and giving it plenty of time to penetrate.

hehe penetrate...

Be careful with angle of fork, if you push it in wrong will punch through backing plate before gettina any pressure on joint

Yea ill give supercheap a go maybe bit cheaper there ..heard a pickle fork takes extra beating compared to the splitter type tool so i think ill go in that direction

This is also probably the most sexially charged thread ive come across

Haha come across? Haha

I have the correct tool, but I'm in Whangarei :P the joint on mine were VERY tight, when it let go, the tool shot off and chipped the floor :blink:

haha, tool.

ive seen a few people use the ones that you wind in the bolt and it pushes it out.

in my experience they will usually break before pushing it out, i would be putting good load on then giving it a whack with a hammer to shock it slightly looser, then winding more load on. as always sit the nut flush with the end so you cant hurt the threads.

the lever type separator is $39.99 at supercheap and the fork is $29.99

And as noted load up suspension before torquing the bolts up as it holds the center of the bush in place.

i managed to torque mine with the car sitting on the ground but would have been much easier to lower the front wheels onto blocks just be careful under the car.

hehe good load...

ive seen a few people use the ones that you wind in the bolt and it pushes it out.

in my experience they will usually break before pushing it out, .

The Repco one I got is sh*t - doesn't fit, doesn't have the reach, and the strengthening ribs get in the way. The Supercheap one I got was basically the same, except it extended to make the reach enough, however, it was still 100% useless.

They look vaguely like this one:

maLLU1ccyMScKE7Ea1WfJpA.jpg

Because the ribs are on the load-bearing side, it won't fit the E39 (or much else it seems - fitted the ties rods on my VW Beetle though)

Then I got one like this - it's the one to have! : A Franklin TA331 - works out to about $135 from this site, shipped. There may be other sites that are cheaper though - I didn't look that hard.

http://www.northwalestools.co.uk/franklin-ta331---ball-joint-separator-50-80mm-22mm-58693-p.asp

franklin-ta331-ball-joint-separator-50-8

It easily extends to fit, and it can get in deep enough, as the ribs are on it's back, not the front like my others. It reached all the joints on the front end.

Finding one is getting hard - a lot of places are out of stock, and I couldn't find anywhere in NZ that had one.

You can pick you own innuendo out of all that.

yikes 135 ...rather pickle fork and struggle thanks haha who can lend me one in auckland? i could buy one but i wont use it again for a while to come