Sign in to follow this  
sinistah

88 325i intake manifold

Hi Guys, just having a bit of a tidy up under the hood of my car,

its a 1988 325i (facelift)

Im trying to take off the intake manifold, theres a return/feed pipe from the bottom of the manifold that goes into the block, I was wondering how I go about removing it?

Whether I have to actually remove the pipe before removing the manifold or whether there is some other way of doing it?

Cheers in advance for your help

The pipe is the oil return to the sump. You have to depress it downwards. You will see it has a large spring at the base and will slide into the block at the spring end.

Use a waterpump pliers to start it turning and pressure it downward when it rotates. Get it down as far as it will go, try to compress the spring completely. You cannot remove it from the block till the manifold is off.

When replacing the manifold, put a new o-ring seal at the top of the pipe where it seats into the manifold. Put it into the block first and depress it right down. Mostly it will stay put while you put the manifold back, but sometimes it will be difficult and try to spring up. If it does, take it out and slightly deform the end that goes into the block so that it grips and stays down. Don't forget the spring.

When the manifold is back in place, use the waterpump pliers to twist it upwards and make sure it seats well into the manifold or you will have a massive oil leak!!!

ahh most excellent, me and a few mates thought that was the routine we managed to get it off lastnight, thanks for the advice in regards to reinstalling it, will save alot of headaches