Sign in to follow this  
Niraj

confused!

so I have a little bit of a dilemma.

I have my own 86 pfl 325i which works great but its auto. Now I have fallen onto a manual 320i but its engine isn't in the best working order. So, I'm thinking what to do now that will be the most cost effective. Your opinion and information will be much appreciated.

A) Get my 325i converted to manual

B) Move my 325i engine to the manual donor car.

C) Sell my 325i for $2000 and use that money to get a new engine transplanted into the manual one.

D) Sell both cars for $4000 and buy one new car.

I'm not to aware of prices for doing things and don't have the space to work on big things as such at home anymore hence why the confusion.

open to all opinions and ideas. prices would be even better.

Whats wrong with the 320i? is it pfl also? it would be a shame to scrap a working car if it just needs minor engine work.

not too sure whats wrong with it now. its had some work done to it. TBH it might be something as small as a thermostat still figuring it out.

also beaware that the 2L gearbox prob wont have the holes or casting for the crank sensors and the flywheel wont have the trigger for the crank sensor.

so the engine wont run , unless you modify them or change the ecu ,loom etc for a later facelift type motoronic set up

You haven't said what year the 320i is......

Unless you can do the work yourself (and even then not) it won't be worthwhile converting the manual to auto so after you convert the 325i to manual you will only get wreckers pricing for the 320i shell, and a spare auto box.

Approx $400 for the shell and maybe $200 for the trans on TM if someone needs a replacment. You will get more parting the car out if you have time and can wrench.

An engine swap into the 320i would also require a cert to be legal and possibly a change of electronics depending on the age of it. You'd also wanna check what the strut size/brake configuration of the 320 body is.

Remember you need more from the donor car than just the box. MIght be worth taking both to a good wrecker/mechanic that does conversions, get a deal to drive one away all changed over, they keep the rest.

Just my view.

My advice would be to flick off the 320i, and then go see Ray at HellBM about a manual conversion on your 325i.

I don't see any logic in building a project around the fact that the 320i is currently manual - especially if the gearbox doesn't suit whatever motor you decide to put in!

Sell both and find a manual 325i FL that you like.

Don't waste time and money on a conversion unless it is really worth it and will save you money buying a newer better E30.

the 320i is gone now thank god. yeah took the advise on and it got sold. 325i will probably be goin soon too after some minor fixes. think its time to just get a new one :D. thanks for pointing me in the right direction