Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

E30 diff for 318ti

Looking for an e30 manual diff (3.47 or lower) and half shafts for my 318ti m50 project for as little as poss :) live in Wellington area but can also consider shipping.

The original Ti small case diffs won't last with the M50 Hp... especially if you plan to turbo it. You need to go medium case with the larger 325i MS axles

Edited by *Glenn*

I will go LSD eventually but just want something cheap to tide me over until I start on the turbo business :)

A quick google search tells me that your only chance will be to find an open small case 3.46 from a pre 09/85 320i. Not altogether impossible, but highly improbable you'll find what you're looking for in a suitable timeframe. (Though recent experience on this forum has proven me wrong! :) )

Running through a little math, assuming your gearbox is the same as mine (1.00:1 5th gear) using a 4.44 small case diff as fitted to your 318i auto your revs will be around 3800 @ 100kph.

As opposed to the 3.15 which leaves revs @ 100kph 2750rpm.

Such a short final drive will render first gear utterly useless (though sweet for burnouts), and will make second uncomfortably short for day to day driving.

Plus as Glenn says, the small case won't survive a very long time with the higher torque loadings. I went through all this research trying to justify NOT swapping diffs when I did my manual swap. In the end I had to concede to superior logic.

Plus, it's waaaaaay easier finding a medium case LSD in NZ than a small case. Have you looked in to transplanting the E36 rear subframe into your compact? I have no idea if it's even possible, but it would be worth investigating given you have a complete donor car to draw parts from. Glenn, is it doable?

You're gonna have to make the swap to a medium case at some point, might as well get the painful bit done now rather than later :)

Just my 2c

Edit: linky so you can see what to go looking for. If you haven't already found this page :)http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Differential

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Thanks for that!!!

I do agree to some extent. I see now that those diffs will be few and far between and makes much more sense to just do it now!

If I was to get something like an e28 diff, would I be able to put my 318to rear cover on it, as this is the same as the e30 right? (E30 being a direct bolt in to the Ti).

What would make me most happy for now would be the 318ti manual diff, which is 3.45(ish) ratio. That wouldn't be too ridiculous, and I just wouldn't smash the heck out of it until I went lsd ;)

I think i have a 3.45. I need to double check

4.4 too low ratio sorry buddy. I'm looking for at least 3.5 or higher, so I can at least drive on the motorway :P

I have a 3.46 ratio small case LSD, $500, in Welly

PM me if you are interested

Cheers...Stephen