Sign in to follow this  
C-130 Hercules

Disposal of old LPG cylinders and dry cell batteries

I am trying to properly dispose a couple of old BBQ LPG bottles. Where to take them? (I have acquired them along with a friendly donation of an old BBQ but want to get rid of them now - manufactured 1987)

I have also been hoarding our used dry cell batteries (9V, AAA, AA, etc) with the intention of taking them to the haz mobile. Just learnt that this is no longer operating (and I can appreciate why). Further research (council website) recommends to just put it into general waste ending up in landfill. Apparently modern manufacturing processes greatly reduce the toxic properties of batteries. Still, coming from Europe originally, I find it hard to digest just dumping them into the bin. Does no one recycle them at all in NZ?

Our local scrappy takes our batteries, but doesn't pay anything for them. The LPG bottle can be done the same, but I believe they want them emptied, and the vlave removed... not sure you can do that at home, although 1987 bottles probably don't have the 80% valve thing (I think that was a later add-on).

Otherwise, for the bottles you could take them to your local swappa bottle place :lol: Bunnings and placemakers used to take them and swap for a current, full one for some amount of money (way more than getting your own filled), but you got an intest bottle B)

our local tip as a special area to drop them off for disposal. swap a bottle only takes reasonable condition ones.