Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Digital SLR

Folks

I've currently got a top of the line Fujifilm SLR styled digital camera but it's not a pure SLR camera and i'm finding i'm more critical of digital cameras when it comes to their speed at starting up and their ability to manually focus as the LCD screens are no good at showing the finer details.

I've been looking at the Canon eos range, the 20D or 350D, anyone got experience with either of these or other digital SLR's in general???

E: My sig shows one prob, while I can take fantastic shots with my digi, other people haven't been able to - it's easier to take good pics with full SLR

Edited by ///Carl

10k? You don't have to start with that much, depends on what you want to get for yourself. Around 3 grand is a good start with base models like Nikon D50/70s and Canon 350D, 2 lens (1 wide-zoom around 18-70 and 1 tele-zoom like 70-300) plus an external flash (Nikon SB600 or or Canon 550EX)

I think that would cover most amatuer/hobbist type and some semi-pro photographer.

That budget only cover lens with relatively small aperature (f4-5.6 and the likes), if you want something decent like f2-2.8, you need another 1-2 grand on top for the lenses.

Guest Spargo

I'm planning on buying a D70 body (my canon got nicked at uni <_< ) and a couple of lenses. Do more than 2.5K spend. 10k for a good camera? Yea right.

I bought a Nikon D50 on Friday. This and the Cannon 350 are brilliant entry level digital SLR's and both come highly recommended.

www.pdreview.com for all your digital camera needs.

I've currently got a top of the line Fujifilm SLR styled digital camera but it's not a pure SLR camera and i'm finding i'm more critical of digital cameras when it comes to their speed at starting up and their ability to manually focus as the LCD screens are no good at showing the finer details.

What do you mean by this? You shouldnt be able to see anything through the LCD as all focusing is done throught the eye piece (its an SLR after all) - or is your Fuji a pseudo SLR?

My D50 takes less than a second to start up.

unless you have 10K to spend on a digi camera, stick with film and get the negs scanned to disk, plus you can enlarge your pics as big as you want

D50 and 350 can be purchased for less than 2k with everything- 1gig card, case, optional lens (reasonable quality 70-300) and possibly tripod (essential) if you shop around (althought the 350 is probably about $200 more)

The D50 at 6.1megpix will do an A0 (with slight quality lose) which is huge. The 350 will do it no problem at 8 megapix. Remember- its all in the lens.

I would consider these two cameras more than adequate for most enthusiasts- nothing serious (like the D70, or pro like the ES) but still high end cameras.

Ash

I bought myself a Nikon D70 S in May this year.

Awesome camera, but...i feel :blush: to tell you guy's..i still use it only at the full aut.-mode.

I did some practicing at the Nordschleife last summer. As you can see...i need to learn myself to use the manuel camera options. No speed in my pictures at all :(

Pic's Nordschleife 17 Juli 2005

oh cheers Marcell

mmm... E30

back to the future... dont work like they do in the movies :(

http://sjaro.speed.planet.nl/ring/20050717...02005%20732.jpg

Delorean.... yuck

hey... random E30 chick... with non colour-coded fender...

http://sjaro.speed.planet.nl/ring/20050717...02005%20481.jpg

Edited by E30stz