Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

Extra cable on spark plug cables? E30

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of replacing some of the ignition system parts.

The new ignition cables I have seem to have an extra cable (old wires didn't have this) coming from the distributor end of cable 6.
If anyone can offer any help as to where this cable might plug in and its purpose the would be really appreciated.

Edit: I appear to have the wires for 1988+ E30's :( . Mine's 1987. Would these still work if I didn't plug the extra wire in? Or would it be a better idea to just get the right kind?

Sorry if my description doesn't make sense, photos attached

post-41073-0-78203000-1386043731_thumb.j
post-41073-0-59158300-1386043763_thumb.j

Edited by Kepes

its for spark detection, helps the DME run. something like if it doesn't pick up the spark plug firing it shuts down the engine to prevent damage. Should be connected to the lead that goes to the spark plug closest to the firewall correct? At least thats what it does on M70 which is very similar.

At a guess, is your car a prefacelift? because it may not have that technology? but those are later leads like 1991 etc M20 rather than 1986 etc

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

At a guess, is your car a prefacelift? because it may not have that technology? but those are later leads like 1991 etc M20 rather than 1986 etc

Yeah pre-facelift. Purchased from BMA Auto Parts, searching for 87 specific parts. Looking at it now on their website it say's it fits. Judging by your description, using them without that cable isn't an option right?

Yeah pre-facelift. Purchased from BMA Auto Parts, searching for 87 specific parts. Looking at it now on their website it say's it fits. Judging by your description, using them without that cable isn't an option right?

Happy to be told I'm wrong, but those should be fine for your car. I have never owned a prefacelift. You will just need to zip tie that wire up, or cut it off. Its only a coil inductor type thing, it is not electrically connected to the cable it self.

but if the female side of that connector is on your car but just not currently used, it is on the front of the engine under the intake manifold, approximately on top of cylinder 1

On the other hand, contact the people you got them off, see what they say, always better to have the correct parts for you car

Thats the cylinder identification sensor thats used on the facelift motronic 1.1/1.3. You dont need it and i would look at cutting it off.

Had a good look for the female end but don't think mine has it. Seems to be okay without that connected so I think I'll give it a go without it. If anyone thinks thats a bad idea let me know :-) thanks for the help

Had a good look for the female end but don't think mine has it. Seems to be okay without that connected so I think I'll give it a go without it. If anyone thinks thats a bad idea let me know :-) thanks for the help

Its not a bad idea.

but i would be contacting your parts people you got them off and try to get the correct part, you may even get a refund as the one you need is a simpler part?? do this before you fit them, they won't take them back once fitted!

Its not a bad idea.

but i would be contacting your parts people you got them off and try to get the correct part, you may even get a refund as the one you need is a simpler part?? do this before you fit them, they won't take them back once fitted!

haha you're definitely right, but im sure you know just how tempting it is to get your car back up and running asap! ;) That said, I'll contact the people i got it from and see what they have to say. Thanks!

In case you were wondering, I contacted the people I bought these from and they said it would work fine - just zip tie the extra cable away from any moving parts. Did exactly that and everything works fine. Again, thanks for the advice.

its for spark detection, helps the DME run. something like if it doesn't pick up the spark plug firing it shuts down the engine to prevent damage. Should be connected to the lead that goes to the spark plug closest to the firewall correct? At least thats what it does on M70 which is very similar.

No, if there was no spark it wouldn't be running anyway

it is to do with injector pulse simultaneously or semi sequentially in motronic 1.3 E30,

not needed on OP car

Edited by JKSE