Sign in to follow this  
OneStep_TwoStep

E39 Angel Eye upgrade

Hello fellas,

I'm looking at upgrading my fading yellow angel eyes and changing to the bright white ones. Has anyone done this? Is it simply plug and play?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/auction-668344633.htm

Currently looking at this set on Trademe. Any one have any advice?

Cheers

Edited by OneStep_TwoStep

yup done it. plug & play. I think I actually bought mine from that same guy.

still working perfectly. 3 odd years later.

Cheers man, I haven't actually pulled mine out yet to check but do you need a bulb for each ring? ie would I need to buy two lots of this auction? Or does it take one bulb for each side?

they come as a set. one each side. You only need to buy one lot of this auction.

No worries mate

There's a chance you'll get "cold check" strobing - no warnings, but they lights will flash a few times at startup, and then every so often when driving along. A lot of people don't know they do it (I only discovered it by accident, on the first day - a couple of cars waved at us blankly, then at home in the dark, I restarted the car and saw the "dance" side to side)

Some LED's do it, some don't. It seems a lot do.

You CANNOT code out the cold checks on an E39, unless you have an LCM4, which was only fitted to some very late E39's (You can fit one though, either from an E39, or an E53 X5). I fitted an X5 one and coded it to suit.

There are cheaper ones around too, though those ones say they are 10W.

I think mine are 6W, but were a lot cheaper and do strobe with the later LCM.

From first hand experience and comparative tests I've done, there is very little difference between the 5W and 10W. The main problem is not the power of the LED itself, but rather the design of the bulbs.

The LEDs are wide beam, and hence only a very small portion of the light actually goes into the fibre optics. The best design uses the brightest LED combined with a chrome parabolic reflector to focus the light - the end result is much brighter halo..

If you're interested, I can email you an image illustrating the difference and where you can get these...