Sign in to follow this  
johnythefish

Noisey M62/TU -3.5Ltr in a 2000 735iL

Ok you guys, I'll make a small confession, this is a copy/paste of a disscusion I started on the community forum on Trade Me, earlier today. I am stalling the seller of this vehicle at the moment, we have almost sorted a price out. I have a price for getting car from Auckland to Tokoroa I am happy with. I need to go and clean up right now for a Lions club meeting tonight. But would like maybe some of your ideas on this, hopefully meeting won't go on for too long. and I can elaborate a bit more later. But either need to pay for car, or be fair and let them know...anyway here goes:......

"Hi; I have a passion for the seven series bmw's. Yesterday I test drove a car with the above motor. After the drive, and just before making an offer I noticed how noisy the motor was (sounds like a deisel). Noise is coming mainly from front of motor. I have done loads of searching on this problem, the worst case would be the cam chain guides are stuffed. I normally would undertake most repairs on all of the vehicles I have owned (and the rest of the families cars!) But this one needs some special tools, I have had a "over the phone verbal" guesstimate of up to $2500 from a bmw independant service agent, and told DONT drive it back from Auckland to Tokoroa! Now, when the car was first started from cold, I was outside the car, but not at the front, and it was in an enclosed yard area, and as I recall I didn't hear the noise it was making after a 20min or so drive, so I am wondering maybe its not the cam chain guides. As anyone had a simaler problem like this. I am considering making a silly offer, and getting transported to home, where I can drop the sump and hopefully I don't find any bits of plastic guide. It might be something else (change of oil/flush maybe) Car hasn't had hardly any use lately. Thanks in advance,"

I hope that kiind of makes sense, I know its a bit of a gamble.....but I just love this particular car and its interior colour scheme, maybe a bit "blingy" but classie to, and her indoors is slowly getting the hump over this. Cheers in advance, John

With high mileage and old age the chain guides wear out, its that simple.

If they drop out while youre driving it, you have a nice shiny paperweight!!

2500 sounds like an ok price considering how much work is involved, if you go ahead with it, do the oil seperator behind the timing chain at the same time, its a $40 part and 2k in labour if it fails later!!!

Good luck.

You said it yourself its really just a gamble, making an internet diagnosis on this sort of thing and with the lack of detailed info is basically guessomg

It could be chain tensioner\guides, vanos or something as simple as lifter noise from old\wrong or needed bleed.

To me it would come down to price and how tidy the car is as to whether to risk it or not.

Hey guys thanks for that advice. I have offered 4k and its pretty much a done deal........but you know when you see something, and you know; I have to have it, well this is the car. Blue mettalic, with pearlbeige leather. Ok no sunroof, I can live with that......but when the boot opens and closes at a touch of a button......thats just horny. Might sound like a bag of nails, but that boot in just so sexy. Anyway I will give it anouther sleepless night, or is that just my throbing fingers.... a word advise to you all....never never put your hand where the blades of a ride on lawnmower are, even when youv'e dis-engaged the blade drive, and the horrible noise stops. lifes full of surprises I suppose.

Edited by johnythefish