Sign in to follow this  
satellitej

E46 brake differences between models

Hey, looking for some info here.

I tried the search field and didn't get the results I was looking for, sorry if this has been covered before

I am wondering is anyone know the differences in front and rear braking systems between the different e46 models.

I have a e46 318i year 200 and want bigger brakes up front that I can hopefully get for a reasonable price etc..

Is 328 or 330 stuff bigger? What about 325 ?

Thanks.

325i and 328i are the same. A bit bigger then the 318i stuff. The 330i brakes are bigger again. They all bolt straight on bar the 330i rear brakes. You need to use the 330i trailing arms. I am running 330i fronts with 328i rears on my e36.

325i and 328i are the same. A bit bigger then the 318i stuff. The 330i brakes are bigger again. They all bolt straight on bar the 330i rear brakes. You need to use the 330i trailing arms. I am running 330i fronts with 328i rears on my e36.

Ok cool, sorry I saw you mentioned e36. I'm looking at e46 gear. Does the same info still apply?

Have a look on the parts cat BMWfans.info or realoem.com but 316/ 318 front 286x22 rear 280 x22, 325 front 300 x 22 rear 294 x 19, 330 front 325, rear 320 as stated before with the 330 the trailing arms need to be used clearance over the wheels you are using may also be a factor.

Have a look at the 330d sizing as well - I changed the fronts on mine and they were biiigg! More weight up front with a diesel, so often have bigger stoppers on the front to compensate. Rotors and calipers should be bolt-on replacements, but just watch the balance between front and rear braking pressures, may need to change that as well.

EDIT: Just checked, same as the 330i!!

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Going to try get some 330 front calipers and discs. Will buy discs new. Anyone have any 330 calipers? Or know anyone who does? Who should I try?

I will use 325 rears as this is easier than swapping arms etc..

If 330 is to hard or expensive I will go with the 25 option still miles better than the current setup..

Can't thank you guys enough for the knowledge you share. Thanks

I would try brent or ray for calipers. Wonder if the E39 calipers are the same?

Ray has given me a price on them looks good and I'm happy.. I'm going with the 330i option.. :)

I got mine from Ray, rotors and brake lines from turner motosport in the us and used genuine bmw pads. I'm not sure on the brake bias on the e46 you will have to research. I used all e46 gear. My build here http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/36519-e36-freshen-up/page-3

Going to try get some 330 front calipers and discs. Will buy discs new. Anyone have any 330 calipers? Or know anyone who does? Who should I try?

I will use 325 rears as this is easier than swapping arms etc..

If 330 is to hard or expensive I will go with the 25 option still miles better than the current setup..

Can't thank you guys enough for the knowledge you share. Thanks

Does anyone know?

Would I have to change the master cylinder to accommodate the bigger front calipers?

Will mine master cylinder be to small? And cause a spongy pedal feel?