Sign in to follow this  
greenalleycat

Anyone in Christchurch able to help me out with a code scanner?

So my 330i just... Broke down badly and is stuck on the side of the road with barely enough power to operate the locks. If anyone is able to help out by scanning the ecu or anything it'd be hugely appreciated. Its just off Mays Road if knowing the area helps... I'll copy and paste the details below of what happened as well so if anyone has any experience with a similar issue that'd be great

So after my 330d got carted off to the mechanic, my 330i failed to start. My mum had driven it earlier in the day and said it ran perfectly. I got home and tested it, electrical ticking kind of noise and the battery was registering 11.77V; flat battery symptoms. Jumped it off my dads Prado and it started first tick and idled perfectly. I left it idling while I packed up then took it for a quick spin round the block to give it some juice. It was about 80% of the way to the middle of the gauge so I decided to put my foot down. I was at about 5500rpm when I feel/hear a loud thump followed by a squeak, like a tyre squeal. I lost power, a big array of lights came on the dash. I freewheeled round the corner and pulled over. There's barely enough power to operate the window; it painfully squeaked up. Same with the door lock stalk thing. Angel eyes (wired to auxillary power) won't work. It won't even attempt to crank. I have power to the dash as that still works.

I had also noticed that when i was driving the abs light and a couple of other lights (can't recall offhand sorry) were coming on when I was braking. I haven't a clue what is happening so please help! I now have two broken down BMWs :( today was not a good day

Bet it's your battery dude. BMW's do weird stuff when the battery's on the way out. You haven't driven the 'i' in a while...

Bet it's your battery dude. BMW's do weird stuff when the battery's on the way out. You haven't driven the 'i' in a while...

Do they like.. Explosively decharge while driving? Wasn't aware that it was a usual issue :P

Alternator belt still on it..........................??? Thump / squeak ' squeal indicates it might have chucked / broken the belt. Might want to check alternator condition itself though too, if that is the case, as it might have done poos with its brushes / bearings.............

Yea sounds like you've snapped the aux drive belt. Your probably lucky it died or else you could have overheated it as it drives the water pump too!

Had the AA out, diagnosed as a broken alternator. So better than I was expecting in my initial panic... Still won't be cheap though

Just take it to a good auto sparky down there, get it rebuilt. Coulda been lots worse............ ;):)

You'll be alright - tis the season for love, joy, happiness & $hit like this happening........ ;)

Just take it to a good auto sparky down there, get it rebuilt. Coulda been lots worse............ ;):)

You'll be alright - tis the season for love, joy, happiness & $hit like this happening........ ;)

I started the day with 2 working e46s and ended it with 2 broken ones, I'm not feeling the love :(

• Like 1

I started the day with 2 working e46s and ended it with 2 broken ones, I'm not feeling the love :(

Par for the course... maintenance is the key word.... not " I own"

Petrol in the shop waiting on a new alternator, hopefully tomorrow. Diesel is on its way back sometime tomorrow, got it looked at by a friend of my dads who frankly wasn't much help at all so I'm going to try do it my own way...