Sign in to follow this  
sinistah

325i 88 facelift

Can somebody either link or post a photo of the pipe routing for the lower radiator hose setup, the way it was originally setup is incorrect I have replaced the top hose and the thermostat to waterpump hose, but am having trouble working out where the lower hose is supposed to go :o

my manual isnt much use >_<

and I havent had much luck on google!

Edited by sinistah

there should only really be one obvious way

will have a look later if you still stuck....just make sure any way you put it that it wont hit the fan, keep in mind the engine moves. usually whilst doing burnouts

I dont have the pipe that goes through the middle, thats where my problem is Im thinking :banghead: so Im having to either fabricate something or route the hose differently.

I really hate people that do half ass jobs, originally the hose that was going to the bottom of the radiator was going over the top of the engine (next to the waterpump hose)

Ive got a hose that will fit but it will foul on the fan or rub on the belts, still waiting on JCBmw to return my emails >_<

there is a rectangular metal pipe thing that runs diagonally along the front i think...going off memory here so a bit fuzzy. has hoses coming off both ends

In the second pic I have arrowed the Gus thingy...

Which setup do you have?

Pics might be a bit confusing.

In the first one the thermostat is linked to the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side.

In the second pic the thermostat is linked across the front of the motor to the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side.

So will depend which radiator you have in your car.

its the one with the metal pipe, because the lower hose on my radiator (bottom hose) has to run to the right side (viewed from drivers seat)

If you could get one that would be awesome, just of pipe route and as much of the part as you can, so I can fabricate something, Does it go between the fan/belts or somewhere else?

I think I owe you a beer after this is sorted

Edited by sinistah

Ok, series of pics should sort out your probems. This pic shows the hose assembly on my M325 motor. It does not fit this motor properly as there are no mounting points on it. I couldn't get a decent pic on the F/L so I pulled it out and put it on this motor so you could see the route more clearly. (the rad needed a flush and new antifreeze so gave me an excuse to do it... :) )

It runs between the timing cover and the fan but above the fanbelt. There should be a mounting lug on the front of the timing cover where the red arrow is pointing and the (red) bracket on the metal pipe fixes to this with a short 6mm bolt. The green arrow points to the bracket on the other side that bolts to a lug off the side of the waterpump.

I have included pics of the pipe at various angles in the next post. The green arrow points to the waterpump bracket and the red arrow to the timing cover bracket. The dimension across the flat area is 24mm at the thickest (arrowed) and the actual length of the whole metal pipe is approx 400mm from end to end.

The 3 views (in order) show behind, front and top view on the second posted pic.

will you finding it doesnt fit right? i found i had to change the whole timing belt cover and everything bolted up great