Sign in to follow this  
Gangee

Help my glove box will not open

Any ideas on how to open it without wrecking it? it appears the handle has broken and it will not open the lock, it is unlocked

I have an 87 525e,

Is this common.

depends how it is broken, try getting in there with a screwdriver and push the locking arms

Hi Gangee, welcome to Bimmersport..

Can sympathise with you, I destroyed a glove box years ago when the same thing happened to me. There is a small aluminium lever behind the catch which snapped off so it wouldn't open.

I have just tried something on my 325 to open it and it worked. I don't think you will have any success with screwdrivers as Gus suggests as the little catches will be above the metal bracket which they lock through. I have taken a series of pics which show the method I used. I am pretty sure the 525 will be almost the same, maybe someone out there could correct any of the differences.

First undo the bottom mounting nuts that hold the bracket that the glovebox hinge attaches to. You will probably have to peel the carpet down a bit. The 2 nuts tou need to undo are circled in the first pic...

Next, pull the mounting out and this will allow the glovebox to drop at the rear. This drop allowed me to pull the front down a bit and expose the 2 self tapping screws that hold the bracket that the latch locks through. Remove these 2 screws, circled in the pic...

Now pull down hard on the front of the glovebox. This will pull the bracket away from the dash and expose the top of the catch and the 2 locking lugs. (circled in the photo). Just compress these inwards and the glovebox will open.

Good luck !!!!

Cheers for that i have undone the top screws but it wouldnt come, i guess i will undo the bottom ones an pull harder, i used a crow bar and couldnt move it it just dented the dash, i just dont want to be too ruff, i will try it out, thanks for the guide it is awesome.

Shot

Sean aka Gangee Man

Me come from Africa.... used to live in treeeeee :P

which part of SA?

If you break it don worry.

I will give you the glovebox and latch set from my m535i. I replaced it with one from the parts car topless hooked me up with for free :)