Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

Advice On Shocks

Hey all,

So the e32 needs new front shocks. Picked up at the warrant but not really surprised.

Anyhow the guy suggested getting some second hand but I am thinking, with the roads we have, that would be a waste of time as another year or so and that set of 20+ year old shocks will go the same way.

Better off buying new...right?

Having never replaced shocks before I am not sure how to much hassle this is going to be. Do you go to BMW direct, shockshop (have used them for springs before) or buy from the USA?

Prices: ball park $250 each side. Is that a fair amount to expect?

Advice, experience etc welcome. Maybe useful for other Christchurch owners to.

Merry Christmas, Adam

e32 735i 10/1987 Europe REALOEM shock insert 31321132540

For shocks ive used Shox.com, Turnermotorsport and Pelican parts, all have pretty good prices. It depends if you want stock ride quality or more handling orientated

Only really 3 choices them being Boge, koni or bilsteins which range from ~$800-1200 with shipping and gst.

Would like a smooth cruiser again, its never going to be sporty so do not need to go OTT. OEM specs minimum but have emailed a couple places to enquire about Bilstein. Heavy Duty are supposedly a 20% improvement over standard.

Boge is the only OEM brand and not many places sell them in NZ? With some google searching to go by I thought Bilstein non sport would be the same but are more available in NZ.

Koni adjustable's would be wasted on a daily?

I have emailed BMW to see what they can supply as OEM.

Pelican parts stock Boge oem's for 7 series.

Topic Update.

Since no one had shocks for an e32 in stock anywhere in New Zealand I went and ordered them from the US. Two Bilstein shocks for under $400.00 NZD including postage.

Cheers for the advice, Adam.

My e34 needs a new shock for a warrant. I have bought one for $66 US from pelican parts.