Sign in to follow this  
JoKer

E34 Rear door not opening from inside

Previous owner did warn me about it BUT before I go ripping into it any tips?

its like the child switch is alway on, what are likely bits I will be needing to look at/pay attention not to break?

/not a total moron

scanning the Diy/mainainace stickies as I post this, like most people my spare time is in short supply this tim of year

mech also mentioned radiator weeping and sway bar links before next wof

jared

Child switch or broken handle cable

haven't seen it in the back doors before (probably because less use) but front doors get it quite often, the cable does stretch in these cars. check the screw behind the handle inside the car is nice and snug, you might need to take off a little plastic disk cover if it is still there. also check that at the base of the grab handle there is a clip inside the door, just give the base of the grab handle a few hits make sure it is still clipped on, you will feel it move if it has popped off.

If that doesn't help, take the door card off and where the cable should go into a gold coloured clip, check that is still present and hasn't slipped

if it still doesn't solve, new cable time, don't get second hand. Thankfully i haven't got to that stage yet so i can't tell you a price or procedure but shouldn't be too hard to swallow. The USA guys on my other forum are always complaining about the cables on all 4 doors and its the same setup as our cars here.

The other two problems sway bars and radiator also major, one will overheat the car other can help you loose control either without much effort. but both not too expensive to fix, but definitely not a good idea to drive the car