Sign in to follow this  
beemn

Radar detector with comfort glazing

So my E61 has comfort glazing all round (double laminate on the doors and the purple front windscreen) Question is has anyone else used a radar in the usual place with comfort glazing?....from what i have read it reduces cell phone reception and also the radar detectors range. Most of the time I have crap reception anyway. Yes it would be easier to not go 5kph over the speed limit but in reality .....

Comfort glazing was an option so not everyone will know the answer, and yes it has a little non comforted section of the front window by the rear view mirror for radars and toll readers but sh*t you need a micro radar for it to fit in, and who wants to spend $1500+ on the concealed units....not me

Edit, some how it did multiple post, someone delete the others for me please

Edited by beemn

Pretty sure my e46 had the metallized windscreen, had a sort of purple tint to it. Radar used to be fantastic in the work car but useless in the Bmw, also had problems with getting gps signal unless the sunroof was open.

yeah sounds right, it was an option the e46 too, my e46 was spec'd with it but it had a replacement a some stage of its life with a standard screen, getting a new comfort screen in late Jan , luckily my nav is through the idrive or else that would be a waste of time plonking a nav man on the front window! the cell reception is fine probably having the panoramic sunroof helps, if it wasn't i would have to resort to the old school car kit with a nokia 5110 and external antenna for shits and giggles.....green screen and dot matrix

Can't help but see your touring on Richmond Road all the time... It's a good looking car! The E61 is infinitely preferable to the E60!

Edited by jeffbebe

We have the comfort glazing equivalent in 2 of our cars. The dash mounts detectors when installed were evidently suffering negative effects (V1) and subsequently bought hardwired stealth installs which have proved much more effective.

Like you said they're more expensive but I'd rather have something that works than a decoration on the windscreen :)

2c

Edited by Tristan

Can't help but see your touring on Richmond Road all the time... It's a good looking car! The E61 is infinitely preferable to the E60!

Yep, always heading up the road....(for a drink) everyone says the same touring vs sedan on the looks side of things

We have the comfort glazing equivalent in 2 of our cars. The dash mounts detectors when installed were evidently suffering negative effects (V1) and subsequently bought hardwired stealth installs which have proved much more effective.

Like you said they're more expensive but I'd rather have something that works than a decoration on the windscreen :)

2c

2c well spent