Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

E34 rear camber and toe adjustments

Hi,

I am thinking about buying one of those kits so that I can adjust the alignment of my E34. Anyone on here do it? It looks like it is for your more experienced and better resourced d.i.y'ers than myself. I don't fancy pulling the whole rear subframe out etc. However I would like to have some thoughtful opinions on the matter in any case. Who does this sort of work anyway?

WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

yeap depends on why you want to do it, on a road car its really not worth it, yes you will be chewing out tyres quicker without it, but depending what tyres you use, you really need to travel about 160,000kms before you break even = chances are you would have sold it or otherwise moved on by that point….

cost to buy the brackets

cost to buy E39 M5 offsets

welding and fitting costs

certification (yes you need this as its a suspension modification)

of course, on a track car, its bit different, but then you wouldn't be using and E34 for that most likely.

if your subframe is bent etc just replace with a known good one

Having done it on my E30 id say its worth it only you gonna pull the subframe out to redo bushings etc, otherwise i wouldnt bother.

Never bothered with a cert, highly doubt anyone would notice\care. Alot of factors in tyre wear but ive never had any problems with wear.

Thanks for the replies. I guess there is no real strong case objectively in owning an E34 whether for the road or the track to be fair. Having said that, I love it to bits, enough to keep spending money on it in any case. It's the same rational argument whether I should install an LSD. .. Whilst it is out an all. I don't think I will do that one! but the ability to adjust the rear alignment even if it costs ( everything costs owning one of these anyway one way or the other) still appeals. Replacing 265/35-18 rear wheels before their time adds to that appeal too I guess. I would like to think I might own this one for quite some time.

I guess the question now is who would be happy to do the work?

Cheers.

do you run a staggered setup?I didnt on my e34 and swapped the tyres front to back(not side to side) about halfway through their life..An e34 is a lot of car for the money,still make a very nice family sized car.Whatever you spend on it is still less than you will spend on getting a newer car

• Like 1

Agreed. I have 18x8.5 all round but run staggered tyre sizes. I realise I could rotate them! but knowing I could align them better???I think is better! it's not like the factory setting is perfectly "square" so you need the ability to adjust I think. Rationally it is not worth it, then again just owning the car is not really worth it. It just hope someone chimes in with someone who can do it and go from there.