Sign in to follow this  
johnythefish

E38 cant open drivers door

Good morning gents/ladies Last weekend I had a look at a 2001 728i I am thinking about buying, apart from a few silly things the car good looks and sounds good except the drivers door cant be opened from inside or outside, the inside opening lever seems a bit (soft) and not fully returning to its at rest position. The remote central locking hasn't worked for some time (I'm told). So without the door open I cant remove door panel, to check/repair. Anybody else had this problem? Also the guy has had new front rotors and changed all disc pads on vehicle, but can't reset the "check brake linings" on display. Can that only be reset by someone with the bmw stuff? Was about to make a silly offer of about $1250 less than he's asking, but then found my wife the assistant driver (to drive one the vehicles back home) in no fit state (too many bourbons). So just went home moody again.

not sure about the door but you don't reset the "check brake linings" alert it is triggered by one of the two brake wear sensors.

either, the brakes were fixed and the sensors have not been reconnected

or

and most likely, the brakes have been fixed but the wear sensors were not replaced.

It's easy to check.

the sensors are on the front passengers rotor and the rear drivers side rotor. If they haven't been replaced you can either replace them or the dodgy way is to cut the worn sensor off and just twist the two wires together, this closes the circuit and the brake alert will disappear.

Hey; thanks for the quick replie's. Glen; I'm in Tokoroa, and the car is in Dargaville. Matt S; I like your second suggestion for the "brake sensor problem" Cheers guys

So, how do you get into the car ?? Climb in from the passenger side ??

That is a WOF failure surely ??

Edited by camera doctor

is there a keyhole on the driver or passenger door on this model? it is possible to unlock mechanically, for example in the case of a flat battery, but only on vehicles that have an external keyhole

That's not causing the problem... the fault is quite common. I can help the OP with this if he requires my help