Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Showroom Boredom ~ new car colours

I don't know what the BMW showroom is like in your town, but here, it's almost as though they don't want to attract customers. ALL the new cars in the window are various shades of grey or similar colours. Even the blue one is almost grey. This doesn't turn heads, which I thought would be an ideal for a car sales firm.

Is this a trend with the new models all over NZ? Is grey the new BMW colour of choice?

I'm sure some people like grey, but surely not everyone?

My choice would have grey slightly below white at the bottom of my preferred colour table. My first BMW was a Diamond Swartz E36 and that was grey as far as I'm concerned.

Shelly Bmw is pretty boring although their showroom doesn't help much, you cant see much when you are driving past.

their new one is being built as we speak a couple of doors up from me

so will be watching with interest, artists rendition looks ok

but they do seem to have boring cars don't they.

If it was me it would be chocka block with M3 csl's M5's etc.......

A few years back, Shelley had a Fiji Green 318 Motorsport parked out front. That colour certainly turned heads - I had to stop to check it out. Great way to attract foot traffic to the showroom.

Guest Andrew

here they usually rock M3s, M5s, a CSL , Z4s etc.

All the colours of the rainbow - thats probably why they outsell other stealerships.

that will do it, its just visual merchandising 101

used to work on a dealership in greenlane years ago, and the boss would have us

shifting cars around for hours to get it just right

Guest Andrew

that will do it, its just visual merchandising 101

used to work on a dealership in greenlane years ago, and the boss would have us

shifting cars around for hours to get it just right

yeah yard change every 3 days where i used to work - once a week here.

In fact they are doing it now

damn i can smell the hair grease in this thread..

Guest Spargo

damn i can smell the hair grease in this thread..

Thats actually fake tan and hair piece smell.

Meh, id go into shelly bmw and be like 'is there a reason you havent got any of the nice cars/colours out front?'.

Go do that. Im sure theyll wake up to their boringness.

Jerry Claytons up here looks damn nice.

Although they have just got a new building :)

A popular colour coming in to work has been that hard out expensive looking pearl blue/grey/silver, and brown/grey/bronze

yeah the new buildings cool, but man the carpark sucks. sooo hard to manouvre larger cars in

I've got an entire "BMW Colour" article in one of my BMW magazines.

BMW's sell well in silver, black and blue. Apparently all the bright colours like red yellow and orange only suit some personalitys, particularly people who want to be noticed. Orange red and yellow looks great on certain BMW's (my opinion).

So therefore BMW has more success in silver black and blue, because a lot more people buy those colours.

I mean look at this colour chart for the E39 ( Excluding M5 which of course has Imola Rot)

Alpinweiss (White)

Schwarz (Black)

Schwarz II (Black)

Aspensilber Metallic (Silver)

Arktiksilber Metallic (Silver)

Blue Water Metallic (Blue)

Kalaharibeige Metallic (Beige)

Montrealblau Metallic (Blue)

Oxfordgrün Metallic (Green)

Oxfordgrün Metallic (Green)

Saphirschwarz Metallic (Black)

Schiefergrün Metallic (Green)

Stahlblau Metallic (Blue)

Sterlinggrau Metallic (Grey)

Titangrau Metallic (Grey)

Titansilber Metallic (Silver)

Toldeoblau Metallic (Blue)

Topazblau Metallic (Blue)

So one of the reasons BMW doesn't really have those bright colours in the showrooms is because there actually isn't a colour in that series (E60, E65, whatever)

My 2c

-Emma

Edited by BMW POWER

i dont go to shelleys that often but i would swear that i have only seen black or silver cars in the new car showroom...used is a different story,much more colourful,reds greens blues......

Thanks shadowninja - that colour is a very polarising one. Love it or hate it - but it sure stands out from the crowd of grey...

DNZ: yes, colour choice on the yard is a whole subject for car salespeople, I believe.

I am not, not have I ever been in the business, but as a car lover, I do notice car sales yards when I'm driving. Bright colours in the front of the yard always draw my attention.

When I bought my 528 there were two in the yard, one with fewer Km and only a couple of thou extra, but it was white (it was only a 520 as well) - the white one is still there. Apparently white BMWs are quite harder to shift.

BMWPower - your point is valid also - newer BMW buyers tend to be older and more conservative - brighter colours are not normally associated with that.

Personally I like the brighter colours, but they're correspondingly harder to find.

Asians seem to go for white BMWs for some reason... try selling your white 5'er in Auckland and it will probably be turned into a taxi cab within a week. :D

Colour does have a bearing on value. There was a purple 911 on a yard here for months. Silver one sold within a couple weeks.

Go to the USA and using the online value estimators your car has differing values depending on colour.

Colour does have a bearing on value. There was a purple 911 on a yard here for months. Silver one sold within a couple weeks.

Go to the USA and using the online value estimators your car has differing values depending on colour.

Cant remember where, but I read recently that black metalic has the highest resale value, all the way down to flat white which will fetch you the least.

A popular colour coming in to work has been that hard out expensive looking pearl blue/grey/silver, and brown/grey/bronze

yeah the new buildings cool, but man the carpark sucks. sooo hard to manouvre larger cars in

Yeh it is pretty hard sometimes, especially when they whole carpark is back up.. but you get used to it working there.. well.. used to work there.