Sign in to follow this  
earon

M3 Csl wheels rework

Hi guys, just thought I'd get a bit of friendly advice on a few things I was looking to get done with the M3 CS. There's a bit of wear on the wheel (it's not much but it really bothers me) and since it's time to get new tyres all round I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to get them reworked.

Firstly, would anyone like to advise me on a wheel rework place and a powder- coating place, even if they're completely separate I don't mind shuffling wheels here and there :) the quality of work really matters.

Secondly, would you guys recommend any specific tyre places to get quotes from?? I was planning on grabbing the entire set from tire-rack online, however if there are any places around auckland that I should look at I'd be happy to. Was looking at the toyo proxes t1 sport or the Pirelli Pzero Nero

Fronts- 235/35/19

Rears- 265/30/19

Thanks again guys appreciate any advice :D

I have always used wheelfixit, best thing is they are mobile, but I would get new rubber first then wheelfixit to do the repair otherwise tire shop will damage the work done

Tire rack is great - I have bought many sets from them. On my CSL I run Toyo R888's. Great tyre !!!

I was quoted between $3-3.5K for the Michelin PSS locally. Bought for $1,093US online + shipping to get here. Probably land for less than $2K NZ.

I was quoted between $3-3.5K for the Michelin PSS locally. Bought for $1,093US online + shipping to get here. Probably land for less than $2K NZ.

In early Dec I purchased a set of Michelin PSS for my F10 M5 (OEM Tyre). Quoted 4.3-4.5k in NZ. Landed incl freight and GST for about 2.6k.

I then purchased a set for another car I own that are quite big (rears are 335/30/20's). Landed for 2.8k. A friend owns a F40 and I purchased a set for him as well. Landed for under 2k.

Tire Rack are excellent and very good value for money - highly recommended.

sounds awesome guys.. yeah even looking through the forums seems like tire-rack is the ideal option, http://www.design911.co.uk/ is talked about as well.

But with regards to wheel rework are there any other options I should look at?? powder coating places?? refurbishing places?? I'll be paying a visit to wheelfixit as well, just like to have options really.

Edited by DSCOFF

Pretty much the same deal when i was looking to get some Mitchelin PSS on my Vossen CV3 wheels, bought them from tiretrack and was at my door in like 4days

I can't help you on places to re-furb wheels, but be careful on the paint match - it's a rather specific colour so may be best to paint all four (if you hadn't planned to already).

In terms of tyres, I'm running Nitto Invos on the same wheels as you and couldn't be happier. Heaps of guys in the US have good experiences with these on their M3's.

Why are you looking to get them powder coated? Powders are only available in limited colours, and can't be matched like paint. To get the right CSL colour in powder would be pretty lucky.

Pretty much the same deal when i was looking to get some Mitchelin PSS on my Vossen CV3 wheels, bought them from tiretrack and was at my door in like 4days

yeah I'm looking at the pretty much the same set for my car, the Michelin Pilot super sports .. with tire-rack how is the payment system?? I hear it's a bit difficult??

how did you go about your order, any tips mate? :)

Why are you looking to get them powder coated? Powders are only available in limited colours, and can't be matched like paint. To get the right CSL colour in powder would be pretty lucky.

Yeah I did a bit of research online and it seems powder coating the wheels seems to give it a thicker coat or so, however I'm open to any opinions on whether to powder coat or paint? I'll give the guys at wheelfixit a visit hear what they have to say.

have you been down this path with wheel refurbishing.. anything I should look out for?

Thanks again

Yeah I did a bit of research online and it seems powder coating the wheels seems to give it a thicker coat or so, however I'm open to any opinions on whether to powder coat or paint? I'll give the guys at wheelfixit a visit hear what they have to say.

have you been down this path with wheel refurbishing.. anything I should look out for?

Thanks again

Earon - PM me your phone number and I will give you some info on this. I had my CSL wheels done and had to get a special paint that was used for CSL wheels.

yeah I'm looking at the pretty much the same set for my car, the Michelin Pilot super sports .. with tire-rack how is the payment system?? I hear it's a bit difficult??

how did you go about your order, any tips mate? :)

Ya, for international orders they don't accept credit cards , only bank transfers - thankfully with ASB i could do this online without having to go into the bank

Ya, for international orders they don't accept credit cards , only bank transfers - thankfully with ASB i could do this online without having to go into the bank

that sounds alright, I'm with ASB as well so it should work out well, what did it cost you for shipping? and how'd the final price look??

Process wasn't too difficult i'm guessing

anyone in particular at tire-rack that I should get in touch with

Edited by DSCOFF

Ya was quite easy, did the order on the website, got a email back with final cost with shipping and payment details, did the bank transfer, emailed them to confirm transfer, then got email with tracking number, then tyres were at my door

Ordered Mitchelin PSS

2 X 285/25/20

2 X 245/30/20

Tyres: US $1426.00

Shipping: US $287.82

Total Price inc shipping was : US $1,713.82 (back on the 6/6/13)

do remember that there will be customs charges when they arrive - mine was $363.42

Dealt with Charlie (charlie@tirerack.com), helpful and got everything sorted

Ya was quite easy, did the order on the website, got a email back with final cost with shipping and payment details, did the bank transfer, emailed them to confirm transfer, then got email with tracking number, then tyres were at my door

Ordered Mitchelin PSS

2 X 285/25/20

2 X 245/30/20

Tyres: US $1426.00

Shipping: US $287.82

Total Price inc shipping was : US $1,713.82 (back on the 6/6/13)

do remember that there will be customs charges when they arrive - mine was $363.42

Dealt with Charlie (charlie@tirerack.com), helpful and got everything sorted

awesome mate.. that works real well.. I was looking to use http://www.design911.co.uk.. but hearing how easily you went through tirerack, I'll get a quote and compare prices.

thanks again that does really help

awesome mate.. that works real well.. I was looking to use http://www.design911.co.uk.. but hearing how easily you went through tirerack, I'll get a quote and compare prices.

thanks again that does really help

No problems, would be interested as well about the difference in price between the 2

does the other one accept credit cards / paypal ?

No problems, would be interested as well about the difference in price between the 2

does the other one accept credit cards / paypal ?

yeah they do accept credit cards online but the major catch is the shipping difference.. which by their regard is $188 NZD.. just by estimation it seems the pricing will be pretty close.. well within $100 or so of each other.

The customs chargers, they're 15% aren't they??

I have the official CSL wheel paint - got it really cheap too (a whole litre of the bloody thing) - it's a really thin paint, so I'd just use it as a final coat otherwise you'll end up using a tonne of the paint just to paint the wheel.

If Matt hasn't sent you the official paint code and the applicator instruction let me know and I'll send some over.

I have the official CSL wheel paint - got it really cheap too (a whole litre of the bloody thing) - it's a really thin paint, so I'd just use it as a final coat otherwise you'll end up using a tonne of the paint just to paint the wheel.

If Matt hasn't sent you the official paint code and the applicator instruction let me know and I'll send some over.

Yeah I don't think Matt has got around to it just yet :)

That would be awesome! Knowing the correct paint code and applicator instruction.. I could advise the guys doing the job

So you'd suggest paint over powder coat??