Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Here my euro plates

You cant see from the photo but the letters have a 3D effect to them and there is a slight honeycomb appearance to the background.

If I had the chance to do it again I wouldnt have the black border, but there you go, you only really know when they are on the car.

You can go here if you want them for yourself The Number Plate Workshop

The plates start at 20 quid a pair and go up depending on what you want added to them, the black border, honeycomb and 3d effect all add on 10 quid. He said he was more than happy to ship them to NZ and he can do an awful lot more in the way of designs.

Thats mint - is it legal though? Its like $400+ from Plates.co.nz if you wanted something done there...

they hold all the characteristics of the plates - and as long as your using the same numbers I dont see why not. I've just been through a Vehicle Testing Station Warrant of Fitness and they didnt seem to mind.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/fascinati...reg-plates.html

"Personalised plates

Personalised registration plates were introduced in 1988.

A personalised plate can have up to six numbers or letters (other than those reserved for standard issue, single plates, trade or diplomatic plates).

Some personalised plates have blue or red characters on a white background.

The sale and marketing of personalised registration plates is contracted to Personalised Plates Limited."

So i guess the answer is no... As only plates from Personalised playes are actual reg plates...?

Can plates from the standard series be reserved as personalised plates?

Yes, the request needs to be made to Personalised Plates Limited.

Edited by Dnz

Thats mint - is it legal though? Its like $400+ from Plates.co.nz if you wanted something done there...

They are illegal.

It doesnt matter how good they look in terms of replicating the LTNZ ones. If they LTNZ didnt print them they are illegal....end of story.

I just happen to think that 300 dollars is extortion for something as cheap as this and I dont see why you cant have different flags if you can have the cars make all over it !

Ill carry my originals around with me anyway and see how it goes.

Yeah, they don't strictly legal.

However it's actually ever enforced is another story.

That's why I have a NZ replica one instead on D plate. Unless you know what uou're looking for, the difference is hard to spot. I also bring my NZ plates with me.

The 'illegality' of it all sucks of job protectionism!

Martyn - I think they look good!

To me it finishes off your car nicely.

Actually i believe that most of the cost is actually going to LTNZ for funding programmes etc. So really the price is less greed, more 'tax'.

Actually i believe that most of the cost is actually going to LTNZ for funding programmes etc. So really the price is less greed, more 'tax'.

A tax on people who don't drive jap imports.

A tax on people who don't drive jap imports.

A tax on people who wish to have something which is an unecessary luxury option which happens to allow a format which wont fit in cars from a certain region.

I dont see whats wrong with it. Its purely cosmetic, and the money goes to a relevant cause, rather than anti smoking campaigns and expensive newsreaders.

Its the best use of a targetted tax.

Edited by Dnz

A tax on people who wish to have something which is an unecessary luxury option which happens to allow a format which wont fit in cars from a certain region.

I dont see whats wrong with it. Its purely cosmetic, and the money goes to a relevant cause, rather than anti smoking campaigns and expensive newsreaders.

Its the best use of a targetted tax.

really sorry for the massive grave digg :mellow:

So will you get pulled over for them ???

Yes. And the cops are cracking down on them at present. $200 fine if you get busted.

Yes. And the cops are cracking down on them at present. $200 fine if you get busted.

Is there anyway to get legal ones that arnt like $500

[edit] please try to keep the language reasonable mate.

Edited by Penry

Is there anyway to get legal ones that arnt like $500

$400 to upgrade your existing 3 letter 3 number combination to europlate.

Only legal option.

Edited by Penry

So if you say spent $100 on German plates, then got $200 fine (like I did), then you're only $100 short of $400 that you'd spend on buying legal euro plates here :)

But the ones that Plates make here look like crap anyway :P .

The Euro style ones do look good.. but cars that are imported from Japan have a different shape mount, slightly narrower and higher than the NZ standard plate. Wish Plates.co.nz could do them in a similar shape/style so they'd fit better.

You can buy the Euro plate holder for your car from BMW.