Sign in to follow this  
captain

1996 328CI Coolant Problem

A week ago the "check coolant level" msg came on - checked it looked ok but topped it up anyway, a few days later the light came on again and it started to run hot. Got home and checked the level which was down considerably and looked like it had spit water through the cap (pressure).

The bottom hose was fairly cool but the top hose was hot - I filled the resevoir and waited for all to cool down, once cool re topped the water and test drove - all seemed ok but about 4 days later the light came on again although temp didnt move from normal - Dont know if this is normal or not but when I squezed the bottom hose it felt like there was no water, just air - I kept squezing both bottom and top hoses and eventually I could hear and feel the water circulate.

I have checked other forums and there appears to be some issue with airlocks?

Anyone got any ideas -

Cheers

Check radiator neck for cracks. Very common. You're leaking somewhere. Try and switch on aircon (warm) and see if it blows out coolant/sweet smelling air. Also the carpet may be wet. if thats the case, its heater core.

Either way, get it fixed fast, you dont wanna replace headgasket anytime soon.

your thermostat might be sticking closed. Replace it anyway as overheating can damage it, bleed the system and see what happens.

Remember when refilling the system to turn on the heater full so that any loss of fluid in the heater system is replaced otherwise you will still have air in the system which will only cause more problems.

Try not to use those generic green coolants. BMW coolant should be blue in colour and they are quite reasonable in price. Get some dis-stilled water to fill the system instead of tap water as well. Check radiator neck (top hose, passenger side) for crack and thermostat as they are common faults. Remember to remove the bleed screw (next to coolant filler cap) to prevent airlock.