Sign in to follow this  
jayzrb

e30 indicator flashing too quickly both sides.

1987 bmw coupe 318i m10

Left and right indicators flashing quickly like the bulbs blown but all.lights working fine.

Also when i put it into hazzard. The lights flick at its normal speed.

Any help would be much appreciated

Check the connections to the indicator bulbs, especially the rear ones. They can corrode, but even a dirty connection can cause a problem.

The flasher unit contains capacitors and transistors. A transistor is a voltage controlled switch, and the capacitors fight to prevent changes in voltage (which is why they are used for smoothing in some applications). When used together, the capacitor controls the voltage in part of a circuit, and when the voltage exceeds a certain level it allows current to flow through the transistor. By cycling the charging and discharging of the capacitor, it allows the transistor circuit to open and close. If the speed of this cycling changes, it means something in the circuit has changed, allowing the time for the capacitor charge/discharge cycle to decrease.

It could be the flasher unit that is causing the problem.

Maybe the alternator and battery voltage is too high (less likely, but easy to check), or the resistance of the circuit has changed. The resistance can increase because of a failed bulb (which you've already checked), or dirty or corroded contacts somewhere in the circuit, including relays and so on.

Something else to check is that all bulbs have the correct power rating. The E30 has (I think) standard 21W bulbs.

• Like 1

Check the front indicators also. Sometimes they jiggle themselves a little loose.

I had a look at the rear bulbs. Alotr corrosion on them so used sand paper.

Should i replace the flasher unit.?

The flasher unit isn't normally the problem, but if you have a spare handy (or can borrow one) and cleaning the bulb connections hasn't helped, then yes - try swapping it out.

Yhea i have another e30. Il swap it and see.

The hazard has the right speed. But i think il remove the rear bulbs and clean it and pop it in. Does anyone have the fuse box diagram for which fuse goes where? M10b18