Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

Going, going, gone - Toyota too exiting 'it's Aussie made mate

Well that was inevitable, its been costing them too much to make those cars for a while now and the price of Toyota's in NZ has gone up because of it.

• Like 1

Theres probably very little of the Toyota line-up that we get here that's made in Aussie though..................and Toyota tend to stick their prices up 'just because they can' IMO......

Mind you, they're having to work a bit harder at it thesedays - Hilux only just beat Ranger as No.1 ute last year, & theres a wild rumour its only because Toyota pre-registered a heap to themselves..........

The Toyota factory in Melbourne (Altona) only builds two models - the Camry and the Aurion (which is just a V6 Camry anyway..) the majority of which were exported out of Aussie, a handful of Aurions to NZ and the rest were Camrys to the Middle East. So the changes in the value of the Aussie dollar, were killing the cost effectiveness of the car.

Once Ford and Holden had announced the closure of their plants there was not enough volume in the whole market to sustain a full supply chain, so it was only a matter of time before Toyota had to pull the pin as well. Unfortunately the factory, whilst it was probably the best of the Aussie facilities, was far from being a world-class facility and needed a hure amount of investment to bring it up to a competitive productivity level (which the unions would probably have fought against anyways...) which only made the decision come sooner rather than later.

It's a shame as I worked with some real good people over there, I hope they will all be Ok in the future.

• Like 2

And now cue the supplier network exit notices. Those that dont have a diversified aftermarket presence are going to see business evaporate in front of them. Particularly brutal will be the local factories that are part of big suppliers - like Bosch, Autoliv, Scheffenacker, TI, Tyco. While the loss of the car assembly is bad, the supplier base loss is probably worse - its much wider spread.

On a serious note, lets also remember that us poor kiwi's have already been down this road with our own motor industry................Aussies probably weren't exactly crying into their XXXX cans when Ford & Holden stopped manufacturing here..............

Edited by Blue-540i

On a serious note, lets also remember that us poor kiwi's have already been down this road with our own motor industry................Aussies probably weren't exactly crying into their XXXX cans when Ford & Holden stopped manufacturing here..............

and todds and nzmc,gm also built frigidaire product in petone after the car plant went to trentham

Yea, too be fair though NZMC closing was'nt necessarily a bad thing though, as it kept us being 'blessed' with more unreliable oil bleeding Pommy pieces of $hit from that stable...............

No offence, but I don't think the NZ industry was anywhere near the same scale as Aussie. Comparing the factories here screwing together CKD kits with the plants in Aussie (and quite right - supply chain as well) is chalk and cheese!

Kiwi motoring industry was comparable to any lego set that my 4 year old has.

It's just facing facts IMO. The world is shifting away from big cars & the Australian motor industry just hasn't adjusted to this. Anywho, the build quality on those Australian Toyota's is worse than any Korean car IMO.

It's not only Australian Toyota's, it's Japanese Toyota's that are overpriced IMO at any rate. The VX Landcruiser is an exceptional example.

No offence, but I don't think the NZ industry was anywhere near the same scale as Aussie. Comparing the factories here screwing together CKD kits with the plants in Aussie (and quite right - supply chain as well) is chalk and cheese!

I disagree on it being totally chalk & cheese, as here too even on CKD vehicles, there was also local content suppliers that went a$$ up after the plants all shut down..........

Agree on it wasn't the same scale, but its also a part of NZ long-term culture that is no longer around these-days, & personally, I don't think NZ is 'better off' for it having happened, much like Aussie won't be either IMO..........