Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

E36 M3 Targa Car Build

Supersprint exhaust on, Full decat X pipe (PN 043612) and race muffler (PN 043606).

People told be the OEM was heavy, but F me, was it ever.

OEM Mid Pipe with Cats 20.8kg

Supersprint DeCat X pipe 7.8kg

OEM rear muffler 30.5kg

Supersprint rear race muffler 11.4kg

32kg saved!

Note, mid pipe might have has some water in it adding to the weight.

Silly me forgot about the gaskets, so reused the exisitng ones. No apparent leaks, but will reorder new manifold/mid section ones and refit them later.

AC72EACC-E15A-438A-B45F-A0F37CBFF0D6_zps

E1D22ECC-6D25-4661-A41E-9522F5E9DA01_zps

C79BC358-1A84-4BB3-93FB-7F07B27D3E4F_zps

49A9B72F-E28D-4733-9583-FD17EC846CE3_zps

B5F54314-9699-44BD-B021-3554AF1573CA_zps

Custom Cages FIA paperwork approval now complete, phew. Now onto MANZ cross certification paperwork.

NoelsM3Cage_zps8d2a9dae.png

Sound. Only taken for a very short drive, like 200m. It's loud, but not stupidly loud. Good idle sound and a nice pitch increase as you rev. Will report again on this once it gets a proper drive.

It's currently hesitating at cold plus low revs, which I believe is the vanos solenoid stuck again. Rebuild due within 2 weeks .

Edited by Beeker2

Geoff Steel carbon fibre door cards on

18D769F5-EFC7-4D54-9C8B-5C25CAC2D6B1_zps

Carbon Fibre / Alu honey comb sandwich floor plate in

89508AB1-8514-42A3-B04C-0B32C7A77CBC_zps

Coming together...

Edited by Beeker2
  • Like 1

Wow those door cards look amazing! :wub:

Cannot beat the noise from a Supersprint exhaust, post up a vid if you can!!

• Like 1

Yipee,

Have receive the MANZ Logbook and cage homologation paperwork and passed the scrutineer audit and signoff.

I can now paint the cage and start the reassembly / finishing work.

Rear brakes have arrived.

They are a essentially a fast road / track day AP 4 pot which sit on the std OEM rotor.

Not as nice as my front 'full on' competition 4 pots and rotor, but better than the OEM setup.

Didn't want to overcook the rear (subject to testing) as we wanted to ensure we got it up to operating temps (a risk if you go too big on the rear).

8E4A3C94-D732-4AC4-A114-08B384BA7DA5_zps

64C41D9C-AB92-4FA8-B62F-38DC4D102387_zps

• Like 1

Vanos rebuild now complete. Group N Oil restrictor in.

thanks Kayne Barrie.

Off to the painter today for the cage/inside paint.

Looking good.

Do you have to have doorcards to comply with the targa rules?

Looking good.

Do you have to have doorcards to comply with the targa rules?

I think the MANZ rules require something with non sharp edges, that about all.

ie a bare door without the door card would be unsafe.

The OEM door card would require cutting down around the X bars and is heavy by comparison to this CF version.

Update. Car is slowly coming together.

Dash back in, finally. Needed some heavy handed custom bending, deforming (heat gun and cable ties are handy) and prying to get the internal ventilation ducts/tubing in place with the dash bar in the way. Looks like we have achieved the goal of full OEM ventilation (excluding small side window vents and of course back seat vents) with the cage dash bar in place. I stressed for a while when the ventilation controls wouldn’t dial around to front/top window demist, but I suspect it was a sticky internal leaver (working now). Much tidier!
Still some work to finish it, GPS/Monit/Camera/kill switch etc wiring and only then will I reinstall the lower dash panels.
Off to Bygone today to get heavy mechanical bits done (engine mounts etc)
Suspension. Now that i can drive the car on the road i've discovered an ugly ‘crash’ on entering the some driveways. Its breaking cable ties on the springs which indicates its hitting its travel limit / bump stops. ie coil bind. It’ll do the same if you hit a speed bump front on at medium pace. I heavily suspect the spring rates are not heavy enough. However i have a plan. After taking experienced advice from some experts here (pretty much suspected i would do this anyway) we're installing heavy springs front and back. ~450 front, 700 back (inward, and a special type) and no rear sway. In addition we're installing some Vorshlag front adjustable camber/castor plates. Apparently they give more travel/compression, another ~inch, compared to some competing products, so says their website. It all counts.
FB5A2925-1DBF-474D-A6A1-1792E8972F5F_zps
Edited by beeker

New OEM front wishbones and bushes on

New 3rd party adjustable rear control arms on

New OEM engine mounts on

New OEM Radiator in

All of the above was done as i needed spares, so best that i fit the new parts and have known good spares with the removed bits.

Also installed a wilwood rear brake bias valve. Not sure how this is gonna work, as its something like 10>80%. My concern is that as the ABS pump is still installed (ECU removed/disabled) i 'think' there might be a hard setting for the rear bias already? if thats the case its now PLUS 10% to the rear, and i might not be able to dial out enough rear. TBA.

We fitted stiff stiffer front and rear springs, plus my Vorshalg front castor/camber plates. We moved to (approx, need to check) 450 front, 650 rear (inboard spring), still running rear sway (that might come off, TBA).

Off to Pukee' testing today for a shakedown.

EDIT:

Also install a z3 quick rack. Small difference being 2.7 turn to turn compared to the m3 3.0, but importantly it's a linear rack not a progressive one so it's much quicker from the centre position.

Edited by Beeker2

Went to Torque performance today to health check the recent vanos rebuild and Supersprint exhaust install.

Net result is an increase from 172wkw to 184wkw and a safer air/fuel fix.

Still running stock ECU, but plan to chip it soon.

Note: The delivery has changed on the chart (ignore RPM for blue) as we have changed the diff from a 3.15 to a 3.91 (and we ramped up the LSD)

This gives massive punch from corners, great fun! great power slides!

M3dynoOct14_zpsf5167613.jpeg

Edited by Beeker2
  • Like 2

As per Steve, how did Puke go?

Went pretty dam good! Engine oil and water temps stayed completely where they should, new spring rates worked mint, car has minor understeer when pushed to the limit (perfect), and the brakes my god they work well, i could out brake everyone there that i ran against down the back straight. Z3 rack worked well too, better feel (heavier) and quicker on the initial turn response (as its a linear rack), even better when the rack only cost $280!

Issues: Small rub on front left tyre to strut. Annoying, but i'll have to run a small spacer. I later also discovered a small lower engine oil leak which wasn't there before. Am getting that addressed today. Overall fast enough for me, handles well, predictable, and i even have air cond! Steve do you? :)

As for getting excited, very! However i have to restrain myself cauz these cars are easy to chuck around, do big power slides and have fun, but with targa roads with limited width, ditches, fences.....you have to always keep something in reserve. Learnt my lesion there before.

Edited by Beeker2

Yeah that's an awesome price!

My air cons long gone, your going to be living the dream in that car haha. Great to hear it went well, Ill be stoked to see another E36 on the start line as im sure you will be too!

That's great news, I'm glad to hear there were only minor problems.

And damn, where did you get that rack for $280?

Jerry Clayton BMW, who would have guessed!

But seriously their parts dept have been great for supplying OEM parts, plus this Z3 2nd hand rack to boot.

Yeah that's an awesome price!

My air cons long gone, your going to be living the dream in that car haha. Great to hear it went well, Ill be stoked to see another E36 on the start line as im sure you will be too!

In addition to the air cond (and there is some logic around reducing driver fatigue there) my porker is still a bit over weight. I reckon i can take another 50kg out of it next year, but it'll stay as is for targa south island. I must admin I'm feeling a but stressed, compared to my old FWD this thing is just soon much fund to slide around, yet my head says be sensible don't put it into a ditch. Lets hope i can find a sensible balance there.

Got sick of having no drivers foot rest as the carpet delete removed that.

Comfort is important on targa, after all we are racing 850kms and touring another 1850kms over the 6 day period.

Found this nice Alu item on the www, only US$29 but lets not talk about the freight cost :(

Should do the job nicely.

6675229B-51FF-4AFA-B3BE-A36AF5E7B70D_zps

Edited by Beeker2

*Cough*, *splutter* - I'm calling my contact there tomorrow. ~$300 is what's they're actually worth, the prices around are (typically) shocking and often more than double that.

Most people seem to sell them for circa $700, but i think i got lucky. Watch out steve :)

• Like 1