Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

A couple of wheel questions ~ wheally...

Firstly, I've made no secret of the fact that I prefer totally stock to modified cars. That doesn't prevent me from appreciating modifications that others make. It seems that one of the first mods people make is to wheels.

My first question is: since the BMW wheel catalogue reportedly contains over 1000 different wheels, why would you choose BBS or CSA or whatever over genuine parts? Is it purely a cost consideration, or are there none of the BMW wheels which appeal to you?

Secondly, there's a number of references in this forum to 'shadowing' wheels. I've tried to search to see exactly what you mean by this, but I can't see anything to inform me. Does this mean painting the horizontal planes of the wheels in a black or grey and leaving the vertical planes shiny?

Help an old fart understand ...

:D

Guest Andrew

I'd say cost is a consideration mostly -

BBS is the main supplier of BMW wheels - hence the reason they have a catelog of 1000 wheels.

Shadow chrome? Like E39 M5 wheels.

Edit: And are you telling me - if you had my car. You'd rather have it stock? :huh:

Thanks, Andrew.

BBS suppliers - thanks, I didn't know about that.

I've never seen an e39 M5 so it doesn't help me in this regard....

All I'm saying is that I prefer MY cars to be stock. I've only ever owned E36s and E39. I prefer them as stock, but can't really comment on E30, as I've never owned one - maybe I'd be more inclined to tart one up - who knows? They certainly lend themselves to changes rather well, imo.

Alloy is regular plain jane slivery grey. Polished alloy is shiny with clear coat (like polished stainless), chrome is the really shiny chrome, and shadwchrome is a darker grey colour with a polished finish.

Posted Image

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

That's terrific, mate. Thanks very much. I certainly had it all wrong in my mind. I looked at a few e39M5 pix and still couldn't see what it was - but of course I had my own silly definition in mind.

Now - I'm h'edumicatederised!! :lol:

Many thanks both of you. :thumb:

Edited by Jazzbass

Now - I'm h'edumicatederised!! :lol:

i think its "educationisationessificationoly" your looking for.

:P

i win.

Thanks, Andrew.

BBS suppliers - thanks, I didn't know about that.

I've never seen an e39 M5 so it doesn't help me in this regard....

All I'm saying is that I prefer MY cars to be stock. I've only ever owned E36s and E39. I prefer them as stock, but can't really comment on E30, as I've never owned one - maybe I'd be more inclined to tart one up - who knows? They certainly lend themselves to changes rather well, imo.

What do you define as "stock"? The M-spec E36s are "stock", in that their kits are all fitted at the factory, with no owner mods whatsoever. Now, if I bought a nicely specc'd car I wouldn't be tempted to do any mods at all; I don't want anything blatant either but a totally stock E36 is a really ugly-looking car. Modding isn't about preferring stock or non-stock; it's about minor tweaks to remove or improve the looks of certain aspects that you feel weren't quite as attractive or useful as they might have otherwise been. It simply makes no sense to say that you prefer the look of "stock" models over modded vehicles because sometimes a stock car can look far more "racy" than many "modded" cars.

Unless of course what you're implying is that you don't like the principle of owning "a car that's not exactly how you bought it". In which case, fine, to each their own.. but do you change the wallpaper on your computer to a photo of your own?